Chapter 4: The Owl House

Start from the beginning

As they settle in on the couch and pillows on the floor, Lilith brings them cookies and tea, "We want to hear what happened while you were away, but I think you're going to need some rest first. You all look exhausted."

"I am, but I also don't know if I can sleep," Luz answers.

"I don't think I can talk any more tonight," Hunter says softly, "It's been...a lot."

Camila rests her hand on his back, "We should get you to bed."

"We didn't plan for this. I don't have anything else to wear."

"None of us do, but we'll be OK. Just rest. We can figure everything out in the morning," Camila reassures him, "You don't need to worry about that now."

"You can borrow some of my stuff," Steve says, "It'll be a little big, but it's something clean to sleep in."

Hunter nods, "OK. Thanks. Can I take a bath?"

Lilith gestures for him to follow her, "I'll show you where things are."

Eda stands and stretches, "Come on, Luz - I left your room like it was and I think we can put another pile of blankets in there to make a bed for Hunter...I mean, if you're OK with that. Otherwise, he can take the couch. And you can help me dig out some clothes for you and Mrs. Mom."

"I think it'll be better if he can be with somebody tonight. It's...been bad today. I'll tell you about it once he's settled in."

Camila sighs, "Luz, you should get some sleep, too."

"I don't think I can, though. My head's just all full of thoughts that are going around like a corkscrew."

"Are you sure you're OK sharing the room with Hunter?" Camila asks her.

"Yeah," Luz answers, "I get the feeling he's going to need someone nearby tonight and I'm fine being that person." She shrugs, "Hunter's like a brother to me - I want to make sure he feels safe."

Camila smiles at her, "My sweet girl...alright. But if things get too hard for you to handle - if his grief is too heavy, come get me."

"I will. I promise."

Eda comes from another room with a load of blankets balanced on the stump of her missing forearm, "Somebody want to come lend me a hand? I've only got the one."

"Coming, Eda," Camila says. She pats Luz's arm and then follows Eda to Luz's bedroom.

Hooty stretches over to rest his head on Luz's shoulder, "So...see any interesting bugs while you were gone?"

She laughs, "Oh Hooty...I should have brought something back for you. But we ended up coming in a rush. When portal opens, it won't stay forever, you know."

"The Owl House hasn't been the same without you. I mean, all the stuff's back, and Eda's back, Lily's back...and now we have Steve, but without you and King...it just isn't the Owl Home."

"Awww, that's sweet."

"I don't want to have to eat a kid to get King back, but...."

"Given I saw the Collector move an eclipse, I'm not sure that would work out so well for you, buddy," Luz says, scratching his head.

"I know," Hooty replies, "But for King, I'd try."

It doesn't take long for Eda and Camila to get Hunter's bed ready and to freshen up Luz's. Lilith joins them in the living room while Steve finds clothes for Hunter, leaving them on a small table outside the bathroom door.

Eda gestures around, "So you can see I got all our stuff back. That was a fun adventure."

"If you count nearly getting killed as fun," Lilith adds.

"Eh, you exaggerate. It wasn't that bad."

"I got to be a getaway driver," Steve says, "That part was pretty cool. I mean, I was mostly a distraction while they stole more stuff, but it was a good time."

"It was all at the precinct," Eda continues, "so we just had to break in and find it all. Wasn't hard - they hadn't moved anything since Luz and I were in there last. And this time, we had more help, so it went better."

"Who else helped out?" Luz asks.

"We managed to convince Raine and Darius and Eberwolf," Eda answers.

"No, I managed to convince Darius and Eberwolf," Lilith corrects, "You just had to flirt a little with Raine and they didn't need much convincing."

"I mean, the scouts did have the box of letters Raine and I sent each other...and Raine certainly didn't want those in the hands of any curious strangers."

Luz giggles, "Oh my. So are you and Raine back together?"

"No, not really. But we're in a good place," Eda answers.

"And that place surprisingly isn't prison," Lilith adds with teasing, sarcastic affection.

"We make a good team, all of us. Though Darius still hasn't forgiven me for 'accidentally' setting the Conformatorium on fire a few weeks ago," Eda says.

"Got to be the getaway driver for that one, too," Steve says, "I like my role in the rebuilding...or rebellion, depending on who you ask."

"I say it's a rebuilding," Lilith clarifies.

"And I say it's a rebellion," Eda quips, nudging her sister, "Gotta keep this one on her toes."

"It's the most fun if it's a rebellious rebuilding," Steve says, shrugging, "If you only do one or the other, you're missing out."

It isn't long before they hear Hunter at the doorway, "Hey...where can I lay down?"

"I'll show you," Luz offers. She walks him down the hall to her room, "I know they set up the blankets on the floor for you, but you can take my bed. You need it."

"I can't take your bed, Luz."

"Yes, you can, and you're going to. You've been through too much today to sleep on the floor."

He sits at the foot of the bed, "Thanks. And thanks for sharing your room."

She sits next to him and gives him a hug, "Of course. You're family. I want to make sure you're gonna be OK."

He leans into her hug and relaxes a little against her, "Thanks...Sis."

She gives him a squeeze before standing up and turning down the bed, "now get under the blankets, Bro, so I can tuck you in."

He laughs when she calls him 'Bro' and does as she's asked, "Thanks, Luz."

She tucks the blankets around his shoulders and playfully ruffles his hair, "Now sleep before I have to figure out a glyph to make you rest."

"Yeah, yeah, I get the hint." He pauses, and when she's near the door, calls, "Hey Luz?"

"Yeah?"

"Goodnight. And if you don't want to sleep on the floor, I won't mind if you share the mattress."

She smiles, "Thanks, Hunter. We'll see. Right...now, you just worry about taking care of yourself and letting me help."

He turns over on his side as she turns out the light and returns to the living room where the adults are quietly talking about the adventure that led to the fire at the Conformatorium. They switch to share the first time Luz saw the inside of that building after she settles in. Luz joins in telling the story when she can, snuggled on the couch between Camila and Eda.