☙⚘❧

"The leaves upon a summer rose, beckons to me as a..." Jaskier sang, strumming his lute along with the harmony he thought on the road. "As a... Geralt, what do you think? I need this perfect for when we reach Cintra," he said as the travelled the road through Erlenwald Forest. They had been going on for so long, he thought his feet were going to fall off. His only solace came through the songs he came up with in his time on the road. "Should I even use 'as a', or is the simile too overused? Oh! I know, beckons to me as the garden grows. As winter's flight is soon to pass, and the summer light shines upon her glass-"

"Quiet, Jaskier," Geralt suddenly said, his cat-like eyes darting around suddenly as he heard a swift whoosh in the trees of the forest.

"Well, that was awfully rude, Geralt. I'm in the middle of writing my newest success-" Jaskier started to ramble on, only to be cut off when an arrow flew from somewhere in the trees and landed right in front of him, embedding itself into the dirt with a slight quiver before it stilled. "OH-Gods! Oh, bloody hell! Where the fuck did that come from??"

"Jaskier, stay by Roach," Geralt said, his eyes not leaving the trees as he pulled his steel sword from his back. "Start running, and don't stop."

"Geralt, I'm not about to abandon you-"

"Leave. Now," Geralt growled, and nodded his head towards Roach as another arrow flew down, landing in front of Geralt. "We're being surrounded."

"Oh, for fuck's sake!" Jaskier exclaimed as he tried to rush to Roach, only to stop when a figure jumped down from the trees, his dark hair flowing behind him as he drew his weapons. "Look- Uh, there must be some kind of misunderstanding here-"

"She wants you," the figure said, and when he stilled, Jaskier could see the points on his ears. He was an elf. A bloody elf. "And I always give her what she wants. Even if it is you human filth."

"Well- Uh- I-I...,"

"Jaskier, get down!" Geralt called and swung his steel sword quickly, but not fast enough. The elf dodged with grace, rolling and lifting himself with ease as his blade met that of Geralt's sword. The metal clang of the two weapons made Geralt's teeth vibrate, the strength of the elf surprising him slightly. They both swung their swords to the side to escape the standoff, before the elf drew a small dagger and flipped it in his hand to join his large blade. He could see out of the corner of his eyes that many more elves and even a few humans were dropping from the trees, surrounding Jaskier as he tried to escape on Roach, only to be threatened with an arrow in his back should he try and run past them.

"Your choice, dh'oinne," the elf in front of him snarled, speaking his native tongue of Elder Speech. "Fight, and watch your friend die, or surrender your weapons to us and follow without trying to escape."

Geralt knew dealing with these well trained and angered elves would not be easy, and would most certainly end in Jaskier's death. No matter how irritating, Jaskier was his friend, and he wouldn't let him die. Geralt hummed, and stood up straight to put his sword back with his other blade, openly surrendering to the elf's demands. "Geralt, what do they want?" Jaskier shakily asked as he was yelled at in Elder Speech to get down from his horse, following the orders from his days at Oxenfurt learning the language.

"The General wants to speak with you," the brown haired elf with hazel eyes said, not taking them off of a glaring Geralt. Jaskier was a mess until one of the elves, a woman, pointed her blade at his neck, to which he laughed fearfully and put up his hands as he was urged forward, Geralt soon following behind as the brown haired elf trailed them with his steel still in his hands, shouting Elder Speech orders to the others, who swiftly disappeared. The road was suddenly uninhabited, as if there were no fight just a mere minute ago. Their hands were bound behind their backs before they started the long trek through the forest.