"You can't go to 'where the unalived peeps reside', either."

"I'm not going to hell, am I? What did I do? I swear, it wasn't my idea, it was P'lei's—"

"Y/N." she interrupted. "I told you to relax. And don't ask so many questions, you're making it hard for me to do my job."

"Oh. Sorry. What job? Oops. Sorry. That was another question. You'll end up telling me everything eventually, won't you? Wait, that was also a question. Sorry, keep going. I'll shut up now." (I won't shut up now.)

She stood up and walked towards me, adjusting her spotless lab coat as she did so. "I'm here to guide you, Y/N. I have been guiding you, ever since your forest friends arrived at your village."

I studied her face closely. Every movement of hers reminded me of someone, but I just couldn't quite put my finger on who.

"Have we met before?"

"Honey, I'm dead. How could we have met before?"

"Well, you said you were guiding me, right? And I'm dead too."

She clicked her tongue. I could almost read her thoughts. 'This is the fun part.' "You see... that's where things get complicated."

"Well, shit."

"Y/N, you aren't meant to be dead. You weren't supposed to die."

"That's a pretty big setback." I muttered under my breath. She continued talking and ignored me.

"The world needs you. Your family needs you. Your friends need you. Your clan needs you."

"My Tulkun also needs me." I chided in. "But why does my clan need me? They've already got Ao'nung and Tsireya."

"Do you really think Ao'nung is going to take responsibility one day? It's going to be all you, Y/N. Eywa has your future laid out perfectly already."

"Makes sense since Ao'nung's brain is stuffed with seaweed, but surely I will only be the Tsahik, my people's spiritual leader? Who will be the tribe leader? It is always a male."

"You'll get there soon." she cut in with a knowing smirk. "You'll find your Mr. Right. Maybe he's right in front of you. Maybe you've already found him."

"Um, no. Ew. I can't believe I'm having this conversation right now. I'm dead! My future just went poof! , no matter how much you planned it!" I exclaimed. When she didn't respond, the realization dawned on me a moment later. A smile crept up my lips. "You can resurrect people, can't you?"

She looked surprised. "You're smart, kid. I can see why Eywa chose you."

"Yeah, but is it because Eywa chose me that I'm smart or because I'm smart that Eywa chose me?"

She made an exasperated hand motion. "What does it matter? Do you always ask a bunch of useless questions?"

"Do you always avoid giving direct answers?"

She huffed indignantly. "I'm thinking I should talk with the Great Mother and have her reconsider who she chooses more wisely." 

I shrugged. "Does this mean I'm going back? How is this even happening?"

"My dau— um, your friend, Kiri, has a strong connection to you. And I have a strong connection to Kiri. I am able to tap into your pulsing spiritual energy and connect with you psychologically."

I crossed my arms as I tried to wrap my head around these words. "That answer has a lot of plot holes in it."

"Listen, Y/N. We're running out of time. Kiri is in trouble."