chapter 9 | the other woman

Start from the beginning

With no warning, his hand moved to the back of her neck then he leaned in for a kiss. It took her a few seconds to properly close her eyes, and try to follow the rhythm of the kiss. Cassandra wished Matteo couldn't tell how stiff she felt. There was no warmth. Their lips were cold, and it felt monotonous. His lips moved to her jaw, then her neck. That was when she opened her eyes again. Her gaze focused on the TV — what a surprise — they showed the cars at the front of the grid. Sebastian was third, she knew that. There was pressure in her heart, and it had nothing to do with Matteo and his touches. It was because of a bloody car.

Pathetic.

"Cassandra?" Matteo muttered against the skin of her neck before moving so he could properly look at her. "You're tense."

"I'm not." She refuted and frowned.

"You're sitting like you're testifying in court." He pointed out.

Cassandra huffed and leaned back on the sofa. She looked at him. He looked at her. It was amusement, but not the same kind that Se— "Again. Promise to relax this time." Matteo stared for a couple of seconds, then smiled.

He leaned again and kissed her. In an attempt to feel less like she was about to get murdered and more like she was actually kissing a good-looking man, Cassandra placed her hand at the back of his neck, pushing a bit to deepen the kiss. It was alright for a kiss between an engaged man and a girl who was probably thinking about someone else. It was fucked up, but okay.

If okay was fucked up.

Lewis Hamilton has pole position for the Hungarian Grand Prix, with Romain Grosjean following second, and Sebastian Vettel in third position.

Cassandra could've choked. It was easy to close her eyes. It wasn't easy to just ignore the English commentator announcing everything. She placed a hand on Matteo's shoulder and pulled a bit more onto the sofa, forcing him to break the kiss.

"We should turn the TV off." She said.

His brows furrowed. "Didn't you want to watch the race?"

"Do you want to have proper sex or not?"

He pushed away and sat next to her, reaching to grab the remote. They showed a shot of Sebastian pulling his visor down, Cassandra could catch a glimpse of intense blue eyes before that. Matteo turned the TV off. No more Sebastian. It didn't feel as relieving as she thought it would.

"TV off."

After placing the remote away, Matteo dived back to business. Cassandra didn't stop him. Sex with Matteo was pretty standard. There were no feelings involved, maybe during their first years, Cassandra had felt something for him, but now it was absurd to do so. He didn't feel anything for her, and she didn't feel anything for him. At some point, she even doubted he felt anything for his own fiancé. It was a matter of pleasure, a transactional business, and it was a problem. That had been her longest intimate relationship with someone.

Maybe she did need help. Something to think about when she wasn't in the middle of it all with Matteo.

The good thing about him though, was that he always made sure to finish what he started. That was probably one of the reasons their affair had lasted for so long, and why it started in the first place. It was hard for eighteen-year-old Cassandra to deny sex with someone like Matteo when his university flings were terrible at it.

After the deed was done, Matteo collapsed next to her. Their loud breathing was the only audible thing in the flat. It slowly came down to a normal pace as they both tried to recover some air. The air was hot. It smelled gross. Cassandra hated the after-sex situation. It felt dirty. They didn't even make it to his bedroom.