"This is the third time this week she has injured herself," Marianne stated flatly, her thick British accent rolling off her tongue. "This boyish behavior of hers is abnormal. Yesterday my husband bought her this absolutely gorgeous porcelain doll, and Elizabeth said that instead she wished to have a deck of cards to play poker! What five year old girl takes interest in such an activity?"

Ophelia couldn't help but laugh. "Poker you say? I believe being around her older brothers is influencing this behavior of hers that you consider boyish," she commented. She placed two tea cups, two spoons, and two saucers onto a tray along with a teapot, creamer, and sugar. The tea set was of blue porcelain; a gift from a former neighbor. Ophelia brought the tray over to the neatly set table and placed it in the middle before sitting in the seat across from her friend and smoothing down her lavender colored dress. As she poured an adequate amount of tea into her cup, Marianne continued to vent.

"This is exactly why I need another daughter," she stated as she filled her own cup with tea once Ophelia finished. She added a spoonful of sugar and a small amount of cream before stirring it. "There's too many boys in our home and it's doing Elizabeth no good. The last thing I need is for this behavior to carry through her adult years. I can only imagine the difficulty I'll face as I try to marry her off! And Jonathan doesn't bother to correct her; he only allows it to thrive."

Ophelia sent Marianne a concerned look. She and her husband seemed to argue more than the healthy amount, and it concerned her."Is everything alright between you and Jonathan? You very seldom speak of him without the tone of hurt and anger hidden beneath your words."

Marianne looked down at her tea, stirring the liquid absentmindedly. "Yesterday Jonathan came home later than usual. His hair was tousled, shirt undone, face flushed..." She paused for a moment before looking up from the table, her eyes meeting with Ophelia's. "He told me that he was asked to work overtime but he's been so mendacious, secretive,and distant-I think he may be seeing someone."

Ophelia's eyes widened with shock. "Are you saying that-"

"Yes, I'm saying just that!" Marianne exclaimed, slamming a hand against the table. Ophelia jumped at her friend's sudden release of anger. She watched her as Marianne rose from her chair and began to pace. "He never pays heed to me, he comes home late, his appearance yesterday-he's still seeing his former wife Ophelia! He's having an affair!"

"Marianne don't be irrational. Jonathan divorced Abigail long before he came to Britain with his two sons. He loves you dearly."

Marianne placed her hands on the table and slightly leaned forward to look at Ophelia. "Then explain to me why every time I utter one word about Abigail, he becomes frustrated and changes the topic. Elucidate what he could have possibly been doing yesterday that left him looking flustered and guilty. Enlighten me with your possible theories that prove that it's absurd for me to believe he's being unfaithful."

She stared expectantly from across the table, her icy blue eyes boring into Ophelia's brown ones. Her reasons for assuming that Jonathan was having an affair were indeed logical,but Ophelia still felt this situation should be handled differently. "You should at least attempt to speak to him before jumping to conclusions," she finally said.

Marianne rolled her eyes, not bothering to hide her annoyance. "I've already tried that Ophelia! Talking clearly doesn't make any difference."

"Then what do you suggest?"

Marianne looked down for a moment before a look of realization crossed her face. "Suppose if I were to make him jealous..."

"You must be joking." Ophelia scoffed.