10- Response, The Battle Of Trost Part Six

Start from the beginning

"Eren, you nose is bleeding" Mikasa says as Eren's nose starts to bleed.

"You look pale and your breaths are ragged" Armin says as Eren wipes the blood away, "your body is in a bad shape".

"How I feel now doesn't matter" Eren says, ignoring his body's plea for him to stop, "I've come up with two options. First, if you don't try to protect me, they won't kill you. Although I've already caused you trouble. I'm thinking of leaving here alone".

"No, I'll go too" Armin says.

"Eren. I'm coming with you" Mikasa says.

"No" Eren says persistently.

"If I can't keep up, you don't have to worry about me" Mikasa explains as she looks at Eren, "but I don't have to do what you say".

"I've told you to stop all that" Eren says as he reprimands Mikasa, "I'm not your little brother and i'm not a child".

The Garrison's giving no indication of moving to attack with their blades. Mikasa's more sensitive than a stray cat to those things. Loading the next round will probably take a minimum of another twenty seconds. Before then, Eren will have made his move and left.

Armin tells himself as he remembers the times when Eren and Mikasa would protect him from the children who used to bully him.

Why would I remember these things at a time like this? Is it because this is it for us? And at the end, I was nothing more than a coward after all. They saved me over and over, but I was never able to save them. As a friend, how can I stand on an equal ground with them? How could I say I'd go with them? When even I'm not sure I can. Now the three of us will probably never be together again.

Armin tells himself.

"Eren, I" Mikasa says.

"Wait Mikasa" Eren says as he looks at her, "I said I've come up with two options. Armin, I'll let you decide. I know what I've just said isn't realistic. The best thing to do would be to stay with the troops and use this power strategically. I know it's crazy but if you think you can convince the Garrison that I'm not a threat right now, I will trust your judgement and follow your lead. That's my second option. If you say you can't do it, I'll do what I described before. You have fifteen seconds to decide whether or not you can. Either way, I'll respect your decision".

"Eren, why would you entrust me with this choice?" Armin asks confused.

"Whenever things get really bad, you always know the right thing to do" Eren says confidently as he looks at Armin, "and I want to rely on you".

"When have I?" Armin asks curiously.

"There have been plenty of times" Eren says with a smirk, "five years ago, if you hadn't of called Hannes to come back and find Evelyn and I, we would've been toast".

Was it all just in my head? Only I thought that I was useless? That I was just slowing them down? These two never thought that for a second.

Armin tells himself.

"Armin, we're out of time" Eren says sternly.

These two are putting their lives on the line. The two people I trust most in the world. What could be more convincing than that?

Armin asks himself as he smirks slightly.

"I will convince them" Armin says confidently as he stands up, "the two of you should avoid doing anything that will make them think that you're a threat.

The two of them nod as Armin walks off through the smoke, facing his fellow soldiers.

Ever since Eren became a titan and he fought for us, something has been bothering me. I don't have it all clear in my head but I'll do this. I'll figure it out whilst I speak.

Armin tells himself as he disconnects all of his equipment so he stands in front of them, unarmed.

"Stop!" the leader yells as everyone holds their guns at Armin, Armin stopping, standing up straight and tall, putting his arms up in surrender.

"You've finally shown your true self monster!" the leader yells, "I'll do it. I'll give the signal".

"He is not an enemy of humanity!" Armin shouts, "we are prepared to share all of the information we have".

"I'm not interested in hearing your plea for your lives!" the leader yells as he balls his fists, "how can I believe you when he's shown us all what he really is? If you say he's not an enemy then prove it! If you can't, I'll be forced to eliminate the threat".

"There's no need for proof. The question isn't what we think of him! I'm told that many of you saw him! Then you saw him fighting the titans!" Armin yells as he looks around at everyone, "and you saw the titans swarm him! That means the titans considered him food, just as they do with us! That is the truth no matter how many people believe or not!" Armin yells as he does the salute, "I am a soldier! I swore long ago to dedicate my life to the survival of humanity! If that pursuit were to cost me my life then so be it! If we use his titan powers and the forces we still have, we could take back this town! With my final breath before my death, I shall wish for humanity's glory and try to persuade you of his strategic value".

"Sir, I believe we should consider-" one of the soldier's says.

"Shut up!" the captain yells.

Their pleas are irrelevant. They are traitors. Anyone who violates the rules must be eliminated. That is my duty as a soldier.

The captain says as he goes to raise his arm for another round.

"That's enough" Commander Pixis says as he grabs the Captain's arm, "as big as you are, you've always been as delicate as a new born fawn".

"Commander Pixis" the captain says as he puts his arm down.

"Do you not see his splendid salute?" Commander Pixis asks as he walks closer to the scene, out in front of the captain, "I've just arrived now but messengers have kept me abreast of the situation. You go command the reinforcements. I think we should listen to them".

After calming the Captain down, Commander Pixis takes Eren, Armin and Mikasa to the top of the wall where they can see the titans in the exterior of Wall Rose.

"No luck huh?" Commander Pixis says as he looks down the side of the wall at the titans who try to get to them, "I wouldn't mind being eaten by a really beautiful titan woman".

From there, Eren explains everything within his visions to the Commander.

"I see. So if we get to this basement, we'll understand everything" Commander Pixis says as he stands at the edge of the wall, facing all of the soldiers who wait at the bottom of the wall for his next command, "as long as you yourself lack absolute conviction, I can't promise more than I'll keep believing you in mind. But I do take pride in being able to recognise the truth of what I see. I'll guarantee your safety. Trainee Arlert was it?".

"Yes, sir" Armin says as he stands straight.

"Back there you said we could use Trainee Jaeger's titan powers to reclaim this city. Did you really think so?" Commander Pixis asks as he doesn't bother to look at Armin, "or was it just a plea to save your life?".

"Well both" Armin says confidently, "what I meant was to have Eren become a titan and then move that boulder to seal the destroyed gate. But it was just an idea. I thought I could get them to at least consider using Eren's titan power to find a way out of our predicament. Of course I wanted to survive".

"You wanted to survive. I can trust those words more than any others" Commander Pixis says as he takes a drink, "so Trainee Jaeger, can you seal that hole?".

"Well, I don't know" Eren says as he looks down, "I don't know much more than anyone else does. So whether I can do it or not, I can't answer you for sure when I don't know".

"That's true" Commander Pixis says with a small chuckle, "I'm sorry, I asked the wrong question. Will you do it? Or won't you?".

"I'll do it" Eren says confidently, "I'll do it. I don't know whether I can seal the hole, but I'll do it".