Chapter Fifty-One: Doesn't Matter

Start from the beginning

I don't know anymore.

Are they terrible parents?

I let out a deep breath as we draw closer to the prison. It's ahead of us now, guards posted and calling us to a stop for inspection.

"Thank you, Dad, but I want to speak to Kai first. I'll figure out what I want to do after, okay?" I keep my voice light, devoid of any annoyance or rage that I had felt before.

Dad lifts his head up, blinking tears from his eyes.

"Okay."

We are ordered to park our car and another guard would lead us to where we were heading. Kai's cell is amongst the thousands kept under high security. From what I know, All for One has a reserved box for himself.

Prison cells are locked with heavy metal gates and as an extra precaution, inmates are monitored 24/7 to make sure that they are wearing their anti-quirk gauntlets. If they didn't have them, then the device inputted into the back of their necks would register the fault and send messages to the security team. The device also showed their health status, heart rate and other important details about the inmate's physique.

When we were shown the security room, we got to see how everything was set out. The head of security, called once it was heard that my father and I had arrived, presented the layout of the room we'd be in. It was empty for the moment, a chair at both sides of a metal table with a thick layer of glass in between. It looked safe enough. Just by looking at it, I know that my quirk would need at least fifteen seconds to break through. Enough time for the guards to sound the alarm.

Dad walked behind me on the way to the visiting room. I followed the head of security, feeling his eyes burning into the back of my head. He was waiting for me to say that I didn't want to do this, that I just wanted to go back to the dorms. But I keep a heavy foot and continue on.

When we enter the room, Kai is already sat on the other side of the glass. His eyes are on the floor, opened widely as he keeps his stance. I expected him to look up, at least, to meet my gaze. But like the pathetic man he is, he stays the same. It would be just about a month, I think, since I last saw him. He has bags under his eyes and they're red. He looks like he hasn't slept in weeks. The satisfaction I get from the sight of him makes my brow twitch.

The guard stands at the door as we take our seats. Dad nervously sits himself down at my right, clearing his throat, "Kai."

Kai blinks, chest rising and falling slowly with his breathing. "What do you want now?" He questions. His voice comes out as sluggish as you would expect. "What are you doing here?

Dad leans forward, his elbows sitting on top of his knees. His fingers link over one another as his chin lays on top of his knuckles. "We just want to talk." He says, as if he wasn't trying to convince me to not do this.

I scan the other side of the room to distract myself from his hypocrisy. He didn't want to talk, he doesn't get to talk. The only reason he is facing this problem is because I am making him. If it went his way, my dad would be home by now with my mother and I would be joining my friends at the dorms again. If it was up to my father, we would have never made it over the bridge. I put a leg over my knee.

When Kai looks up, his gaze instantly falls on me. I keep mine cold and zone my eyes in on him. With the implant, I can see him better. His eyes, they aren't really the light green that I had thought they were. I used to think they were similar to how the kiwi fruits looked. But now, they're a bland yellow. Not as amazing as they used to be, now that I can see better.

A deceitful man. I want to rip him to shreds.

"And what is she doing here?" He asks, the chains holding him down rattling as he leans back in his chair, "Shouldn't you be in the hospital?"