Chapter 24: It was all a blur

Começar do início

The rest of the service is a blur, your ears feel like they are blocked, you watch as your uncles and cousins take turns carrying the coffin out of the house and to the funeral car, you walk slowly behind them before they put the coffin into the hearse. A separate car follows the hearse and you and your family get in.

You stare blankly at the road, your sister comforting your mother as she slowly weeps. The service was in a church, and it was like white noise, and you couldn't focus on the kind words that were being said about your dad. You follow your family's lead, standing but your legs feel like jelly. You followed your family out of the church and watched as your dad's coffin got lowered into the ground, again the minister was giving a small sermon, but you couldn't hear anything. Then, you felt someone stand beside you, they softly touched your hand with their pinky finger, you looked down and then up to see Wanda had come beside you, you held her hand and then realised you had been crying, a ringing in your ear before everything started to come back into focus. It's when you start to focus and look around that you see Tony, Bruce, Peter, Yelena and Nat have come to your dad's funeral to be with you. Nat offering you a soft smile.

After the service, your mum had planned a small gathering back at the family home, she had planned food and drinks for everyone to tell stories about your dad.

You were sitting with Wanda, hand still tightly holding hers, as people took turns to get up and speak about your father, the stories making you both laugh and cry with happy memories. It also made you happy how many people had such good things to say about him, that he impacted so many people positively during his time in the world.

You recounted how he tried to make you play golf at every stage of your life. How he taught you how to kick a football and skip rocks at the beach. How he would put you on his shoulders when you were out for the day, and when he taught you how to play lara croft on the playstation and how he always let you win when  playing board games together. You remember singing old songs with him in the car, and all the different holidays he took you on around Europe when you were younger. But mostly, you let everyone know how much you missed him, and how you were sorry that you couldn't save him.

You started to tear up when Nat came by your side to bring you back to your seat. Everyone telling you how nice your speech was. Your mum had planned one more thing, and she brought you all out to the garden. You saw the Chinese sky lanterns sitting beside her,

"Thank you all for coming today. I know Henry is looking down on us all right now, laughing at the stories we told. I want you to join me in writing down a wish for your future, one that whoever is looking down on you can help you achieve."

You all made your way over, taking a lantern and a pen. You thought for a while what you might wish for, before writing it down.

'I wish to not break anyone else's heart'

Your mum offers you a lighter, and you smile at her before clicking two of your fingers together to spark a small flame, she laughs at herself. You, your mum and sister all let go of your lanterns first, watching as the rest of your family and friends let go of theirs, you watch as they drift into the night sky, as a small tear rolls down your cheek.

*

The next morning, you wake up with the light shining through the window, this time finding Wanda in the bed beside you, you lie on for an extra while, until Wanda starts to stir, she yawns, rolling over to face you.

"Morning" you say, shifting yourself so you are sitting upright, Wanda joining you after stretching, telling you she slept well.

You both make your way out to the kitchen, you see your aunt and uncle are leaving, and so is Nathan, you say your goodbyes, before sitting on the sofa to watch TV. While you were flicking through the channels, you felt eyes on you and when you look up, you see Nat, Wanda, Yelena and Peter all looking at you, you eyebrows furrow,