Chapter Eight: Bloodshed and Banishment

I am Sheogorath.

His voice echoed through my mind, but I was unable to connect the dots as to why I heard it. Why did I wake up hearing the same name that I read in those books? What happened to me?

A glowing body stood in front of where I lay, taunting my weakened state, startled from my confusing thoughts. It was hard to make out exactly what stood in front of me, be it human or animal, as the room was almost completely black other than the blinding yellow light coming from the creature's hands.

So far, the figure had done nothing to harm me, so I took a moment to asses myself. I was no longer wearing my armor, but now clothed in my warm college robes. As I tried to sit up to get a better look of the room, I felt a sharp pain in my side. The hilt of my dagger dug into my skin at an awkward angle, bruising the area. Apparently when the mages moved me from the crypt to... wherever ever I am now, they hadn't bothered to remove my weapons.

Before I could move into a more comfortable position, I jerked up, gasping. A tingling sensation ran down my spine. My body seemed to be encased in the same swirling light that filled the room.

My heart beat faster in my chest with each passing moment. The odd feeling had spread to the rest of my body, and I made a last minute decision. The dagger made a metallic ringing noise as I tore it from the sheath, and I launched myself at the figure in front of me.

The weapon planted itself in the thing's side, causing the light to die down. A scream could be heard coming from the body, and immediately I knew it was human.

My eyes slowly adjusted to the darkness. At my feet was a woman clothed in college robes. Her brown hair was wild from the attack, covering most of her face, but I could still see shock and terror in her slowly fading eyes. Dark blood dribbled from a corner of her mouth.

The pounding in my head was deafening as I stared at the body. No longer a living, breathing person. Not anymore.

Countless time had I killed animals, but only for survival. Nothing could have prepared me for the horror I felt. My limbs were shaking as I sheathed my weapon, and I looked down at my hands- the same hands that just committed murder.

Strangely, they were glowing, just like the light from moments ago. I screamed, unable to control the spell. My side tingled, and I lifted up the robe to examine it. The bruise from the hilt of my dagger was healing. Oh gods. That means she was only trying to heal me. Oh gods, what have I done?

A gasp could be heard from the doorway. It was Brelyna. She had dropped whatever was in her hands and now stood stone still, gaping at what I had done.

My heart sunk. I had disappointed her. She may never forgive me, although it wasn't unreasonable. "What have you done?" Her voice was soft, but not to be mistaken for gentleness. Rather, it was filled to the brim fear.

Millions of excuses popped into my head, but I was too nervous to say anything other than what really happened. "I- I killed her."

"Why?"

"I- I don't know."

Mumbling to herself, Brelyna whipped around. "I have to tell the Arch Mage. Something needs to be done."

Wait, but I need to talk to you! I mentally cried in despair. "Brelyna, wait!" I ran forward and grabbed the Dark Elf's shoulder. She flinched away, not wanting to feel my touch. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. I had just woken up, and I wasn't sure where I was or what was going on. I panicked."

She turned away. "Yes, well your panicking did this."

"No, please!" My body was racked with a silent, tearless sob. "Brelyna, I need you here!"

"And I need to alert the Arch Mage of this! Colette Marence's death needs to be avenged!"

My hand dropped as she began to walk away, and I tried one last thing. "But I love you."

Without looking at me, she replied in a collected tone. "No, Cicero. You've known me for two days. You don't love me. And even if you did, I could never love a killer." She spat out the last word, and I let her go.

This time, the sobs were true. My body shook with the force, and salty tears streamed down my face. Sinking to the floor, I leaned against the wall and stayed there for countless minutes.

~~~

Hurried footsteps echoed through the building. "There!" The girl came back, but with company. Savos Aren was at her side with a concerned look plastered on his face.

"Cicero. You are hereby banned from the College of Winterhold. In no way are you allowed back into the College. You have twenty four hours to gather your things, and I suggest in that time you talk to no one. Leave my presence before I change my mind of letting you live." The man started down at me, his presence intimidating and overwhelming. I jumped from the floor and quickly scurried past the two Dunmer, making my way out of the building.

I exited the hall to find myself in Skyrim. The ground was covered in snow that shone in the moonlight, and there was a large statue placed in the middle of the courtyard. Immediately, I knew where I was. The hall opposite to the one I had just left was the student dorms, and with my head down, I ran to the housing area.

The door opened creakily, and shut just the same. My room was the first to the right, and I silently collected my things. It wasn't that much to begin with, and it took me almost no time at all. Looking around, I spotted where Brelyna slept. Her room was empty, and probably would be for the rest of the night. Without lingering any longer, I left the stone room for the last time.

__________________________

First of all, thank you all so much for 1k reads. It means so much to me. c:

Second of all, I'm sorry for not updating in a month. I had a lack of inspiration for the chapter, but I've been working on it the past couple days because I owe you all an update.

Once again, thank you all for reading. I hope you have a lovely rest of the day (or night). I hope to see you soon! :D