Dinner with the parents

-

That's life- Frank Sinatra 🎵

I hated baking with JJ, or cooking... or anything that had to do in the kitchen.. well almost anything. Baking with JJ was always stressful and messy. My parents were coming over today for the first time, and I wanted everything to be perfect.

JJ insisted on helping me cook, he didn't want me to be to stress before my parents came, especially with our daughter, and I didn't want to reject his offer, so I said.

"Yea..ok"
"Let's get cookin!"

JJ's smile was radiant as he rubbed his hands together, slipping on my baking apron, it was a beautiful pink color with ruffles on the corners.

-

Y/n hated when I baked with her, I knew that. I actually wanted to help her. Her parents were coming over later today and she was putting lots of pressure on herself.

She took in a long breath, then letting it out turning to me with a smile.

"Ok let's start with the shortcake"

Strawberry Shortcake had been her favorite since she was a child, her grandmother had shown her to make it at a young age. She had it for every birthday, and event and family gathering.

"Dry ingredients first, 4 cups flour, 2 tbsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/3 sugar"

I took out one of the baking bowls from the cabinets, placing it on the counter as she got the salt, sugar and I got the baking powder and flour.

"Make sure that's powder not soda" her voice sounding  fretted, and unsteady, as she walked towards the stove pre-heating it to 400* degrees.

"Powder, we're all good" I uttered reassuring her as she did a small smile adding the dry ingredients to the bowl.

Y/n's parents were very particular, and very demanding, so the house, the food, the setup, dining room, all have to be perfect.

"Ok now we have to cut the 1/2 c of butter into chunks"

She took the knife cutting the butter into multiple chunks, as I was in charge of the 1cup of milk and 1 egg.

"No shells?"
"No shells baby"

She added the butter with the milk and eggs as putting 3 cups of sweetened whipping cream next.

-

My parents were never early nor late, early for them was 5 minutes prior and late was 5 minutes later.

JJ had put on the suit I bought him, It was a jet black with a nice bow tie, I on the other hand wore a sheer sleeve evening mini black dress,It would probably earn a comment from my mother with a couple of stares then, signaling my dad, as then he will look and shake his head.

A knock was on the door, as I quickly brushed my hair out of my face, fixing everything to be perfect as JJ opened the door.

He welcomed my parents as I did. Our daughter ran up to my parents hugging them, as they smiled.

"JJ son, how are you doing?" My father spoke as I took their coats hanging them up in our coat closet. "Nice to see u again y/n"

My mother greeted me as I did her as well, after the little small talk between JJ and my father, he gave me a kiss on the cheek as he pulled my mother's seat out.