chapter 7 | two strangers in silverstone

Depuis le début

When it hit her, she slipped between them and started walking away. Perhaps she could go and find Britta to thank her for all the help.

"Bye Cassandra!" Jenson said loudly, waving his hand and grinning in her direction. She even turned to wave back, but Sebastian was aware the interaction was unexpected for her. Cassandra was fairly easy to read. Lewis nudged Jenson with the elbow, but Jenson didn't complain, he just turned his attention to Sebastian. "Nice pre-race ritual, Sebastian."

"Don't start, Jense. She's just writing an article." He clarified although Sebastian was well aware his smile could betray him.

Lewis raised an eyebrow. "He's doing articles now." The driver told his teammate. It wasn't a secret for anyone that Sebastian was a private person, but he also had his PR duties with the team. Though it wasn't very typical for him to just stroll around with a journalist who didn't belong to the motorsport circle.

"We need to check that with McLaren. How come Seb gets to do interviews for articles with girls like that and all we get are those old lads who only criticise us? That doesn't seem fair in my opinion." Jenson shook his head.

"Maybe get another championship and she'll write an article about you." Sebastian pursed his lips.

Jenson pushed him a bit and laughed. "Cheeky." His gaze danced back to Cassandra's shrinking figure. "Do these articles include a personal visit from the writer?" His fellow driver raised an eyebrow.

That managed to get a chuckle out of Lewis as well. Sebastian looked at both of them. "They do actually." He crossed his arms over his chest, putting on his best smug face. "I invited her."

"Good move, Seb." Lewis patted him on the arm, maybe a bit too harshly.

Jenson's palm gave him a couple of pats on the cheek, he was taking the piss. "And who could say no to this face?"

Sebastian shushed his hand away with his own and glared. "Fuck off, Jenson." This one just snorted.

The last thing they told him before he decided it was time to search for Cassandra again was that 'you better don't fuck this race then' which he knew they said just to banter with him. He really didn't want to fuck the race though. Especially considering what had happened at the last one.

Finding Cassandra wasn't hard for Sebastian, she was back at the Red Bull garage and immersed in a conversation with Britta. If she was true to her word, he could imagine Britta telling her that she didn't need to apologise for one of his occurrences. They didn't happen very often, the randomly inviting a girl to a race, so his PR manager had thoughtfully questioned him why so much effort.

"I'm back, sorry." He approached them when the moment seemed right. He could hear Britta's almost unnoticed chuckle when Sebastian fixed his look on Cassandra rather than her.

"I was just thanking Britta for how great she has been with me today, and the days before the race." She gestured with her head to Britta, as an act of politeness or something similar.

The older woman just waved her hand nonchalantly. "It's been nothing, don't worry. I'm glad you accepted the invitation." Cassandra didn't miss the quick peek she threw Sebastian's way. "Seb, they're looking for you. Pre-race stuff." It was all Britta said.

Sebastian nodded. "I have to leave. Will you stay at the garage?" He asked Cassandra, who looked around for a moment.

"Britta told me I could watch from the motorhome?" She looked at Britta as if searching for approval, and this one nodded. "So I think that'd be better. It seems cramped over there." Her finger pointed at where the mechanics were still working on the cars.