22. Overachievers

Start from the beginning

Karan insisted that the days he hunted would not require Amil, but Amil felt slighted. The first almost argument of their family occurred, but was quickly snuffed out by Nana. "You two will alternate hunting," she ordered in a no-nonsense tone. Immediate acceptance was experienced and peace returned to the room.

Aside from that, they ended up going through a strange icebreaker kind of game at Nana's insistence. One where someone says a fact or something nice about someone present and the one chosen goes next. The intended effect was not had as everyone naturally chose Nana as their target.

"Nana is not a boring female," Zen said with a blank expression.

"Aw thanks Zen. You aren't a boring male either." Nana sent the figurative ball back to him.

Zen thought of something else to say that would stop Nana from selecting him again. "Nana is good at mating."

Nana choked before chucking a cushion at Zen's head. She blew up like a torch when several affirmatives agreed with him. 'Darn it, Zen!' She barely withheld her aggrieved exclamation. Given his satisfied expression, she knew he did that completely on purpose.

"Dakotah finds the best honey." Nana huffed out the words while still recovering from Zen's proclamation.

Dakotah puffed out his chest with pride at the specific praise. "Nana is cute n' tiny!" Dakotah boisterously complimented her without a shred of hesitation or shame.

Nana was not tiny and she felt she was prettier than cute, but the praise still made her feel giddy. "Amil is a reliable hunter who can perfectly clean prey." Nana passed the ball.

Amil glowed while receiving the compliment. "Nana loves kon and her eyes sparkle all pretty when she counts it," added Amil.

'Darn it, Amil!' Nana thought. Karan and Dakotah were going to think she was obsessed. That wasn't the impression she meant to give.

"Karan's strong presence is assuring," Nana said. She was half tempted to say his random acts of clumsiness were cute, but she wasn't sure how well he'd receive that kind of compliment. Maybe next time she would.

Karan sat a little taller and smiled. He was glad he could be a male that Nana would depend on for safety. Before Karan could respond, he was interrupted.

"I can be a strong presence too," Dakotah assured.

"Kotah, it's Karan's turn to speak." Nana felt like she was chiding a cub. Speaking of, hers were watching the exchange with some interest while trying not to nod off.

"Sorry," Dakotah apologized with drooping ears.

Before Nana could spare the bear anymore attention, Karan said his piece, "Nana is... one of a kind." He couldn't think of a better way to say that. He really hadn't met a female like Nana before.

Once again, sounds of agreement were made by the others presence. If Nana had thin skin before this session started, she wouldn't by the time it ended. This icebreaker session turned into a compliment Nana session instead. At least the males present seemed to bonding slightly over their mutual affections for Nana, right? Even if it was at her expense.

By the time Karan had to go hunt, the atmosphere in the den was light and only Nana was suffering in any way.

"You asked for this one," Zen reminded her.

"As if I could forget that," she retorted as her head lay in her hands. "It still had the intended affect..."

"I see. Good job then," Zen half-heartedly praised her.