Part 2

Third Person POV

"Attention on deck!" A woman yelled as all the aviators stood as the Admirals walked in. Warlock goes to the podium in front of everyone.

"Morning. Welcome to your special training detachment. Be seated." He said then everyone sat back down. "I'm Admiral Bates, NAWDC commander. You're all Top Gun graduates. The elite. The best of the best." Everyone is smiling and smirking when they hear that.

"That was yesterday. The enemy's new fifth generation fighter has levelled the playing field. Details are few but you can be sure we no longer possess the technological advantage. Success, now more than ever comes down to the man or woman in the box." Hangman looks over at Phoenix who noticed the sneaky gave him the finger.

"Half of you will make the cut. One of you will be named mission leader. The other half will remain in reserve." Hangman looks behind him at Rooster.

"Your instructor is a Top Gun graduate with real world experience in every mission aspect you will be expected to master." As the admiral continues talking about him, Maverick makes his way to the front from the back of the room. "His exploits are legendary." They all started to look back at who it was. "And he's considered to be one of the finest pilots this program has ever produced." Hangman groans in annoyance because he recognizes him, Coyote does the same. "What he has to teach you, they very well mean the difference between life and death. I give you Captain Pete Mitchell. Call sign, Maverick."

Maverick is now in front of everyone but stands off to the side because the Admiral has another thing to say.

"But because of the importance of this mission, we have another instructor to assist Maverick. Your instructor is also a Top Gun graduate with real world experience in every mission aspect you will be expected to master. But she's a well known legend throughout Top Gun. She is the finest pilot that this program has ever produced because of her skill, knowledge and power. Everyone in this room looks up to her and I mean everyone, including us, Admirals. We've got her to come out of retirement for this mission. I give you Captain Y/n L/n. Call sign, Smile."

Everyone turns from face to back to see a woman in their uniform, walking towards the front with a stock look, not showing any emotion.

"Damn." Hangman mutters while he and everyone stare at her in awe.

"Ain't she that bartender at the Hard Deck." Bob whispered which Phoenix hummed, answering his question.

"It's good to see you in uniform again, Smile." Warlock said to which she hummed in response. She's now standing in front of everyone at ease, still showing no emotion.

"Good morning." Maverick greeted them all as Warlock moved to stand off to the side with Cyclone. Hangman and Payback nodded their heads, acknowledging the greeting. Then Maverick looked over at Rooster, who looked away with a scowl look on his face. Y/n observe everyone, stay completely professional. "The F-18 NATOPS, contains everything they want you to know about your aircraft. I'm assuming you know the book inside and out."

"Damn right." Payback said.

"Damn straight." Hangman agreed. Then Maverick passed it to Y/n, who chucked it behind her, landing it into the bin. This got everyone's attention, causing them to sit on the edge of their seats.

"So does your enemy." Maverick said.

"And we're off." Hondo muttered under his breath.

"But what the enemy doesn't know is your limits. We intend to find them, test them, push beyond. Today, we'll start with what you only think you know."

"Show us what you're made of." Y/n finished.

~ Time Skip ~

Y/n's POV