146. the fall

LOVE + WAR

cxlvi ||  the fall

cxlvi || the fall

Maria laughs slightly as Regulus feeds Nova some of the egg on his plate, watching as she spits it out and throws it at her father who sighs in exasperation. They had carved some pumpkins, Nova basically just throwing the insides of the pumpkins into the bin in amusement at the strange new texture whilst Regulus and Maria carved into the pumpkins.

"Stan and Alyssa said they'd come for an hour or so whilst we go and visit Sirius." Regulus tells Maria who smiles and nods, feeding Nova a small spoonful of baked beans. "It's been quiet, don't you think?"

    "Yeah." Maria whispers, it's been too quiet for too long. It makes her nervous. Why would the death eaters cause so much chaos and havoc and then just stop? Maria and Regulus have been trying to track some of them down, trying to protect James, Lily and Harry by doing whatever they can. But most of the leads have lead to nothing but dead ends and more questions.

    "Hey." Regulus says, snapping her from her haunting thoughts and her dark eyes flit from the table to her fiancé. "We're okay."

     "I know." Maria nods, standing up and Regulus smiles as she leans down to press her lips to his softly, her hand moving to his jaw. "I love you."

    "I love you more." Regulus rolls his eyes and Maria smiles slightly, lifting Nova from her high chair and sitting her in her hip. "God, I can't wait to marry you."

    Maria smiles sheepishly, kissing him again before wandering out into the back garden where Tiger is lounging on some garden furniture and Maria wanders to the fence where the horses are eating the grass.

    "Say hi." Maria whispers, gently taking Nova's wrist in her hand and waving the baby's hand at the horses. Nova giggles and continues the motion making Maria smile, cradling the back of her baby's head and pressing a kiss to her temple.

    A few hours later, Maria is dressed in some straight legged jeans and a cream coloured knitted jumper that hangs bagging on her shoulders. She's tying the laces of her converse whilst Stanley is holding Nova beneath her arms and her feet are on the ground, mimicking her standing and he bounces her up and down as though she's jumping softly.

    "Dylan hates when I do this, lazy bastard he is." Stan chuckles, looking to Alyssa who's sat with Dylan on her lap fiddling with her wand in his small hands.

    "Stanley." Alyssa scolds and he snickers, lifting Nova high in the air and making her giggle breathlessly.

     "We won't be too long." Maria says to the pair and Alyssa stands up and smiles.

     "Take your time." The pale blonde haired woman hugs her tightly. "Tell Sirius I said hi, yeah?"

    "Of course." Maria mutters into her shoulder before pulling away and Stanley stands tall, bringing Maria into a side hug and Nova reaches out for her mother. "We'll be back soon, baby." Maria whispers, kissing Nova's hands.