When Things Can't get Any Worst

Start from the beginning

"What a load of Rubbish! Martin you've always been all mouth and no trousers!" Coeur lunged for Martin but was held back by Mr. Havisham.

"Coeur you will only make matters worse," he muttered beneath his breath.

The sheriff furrowed his brow and gritted his teeth. He had always been afraid of these two families. Rumors were abundant regarding tales of witchcraft and curses. Throughout his time as sheriff, he took great caution to avoid meddling with their affairs-even when word got around they were hunting a small girl. So long as the Merryweathers and De Noirs kept to themselves, and stayed away from the townspeople, their actions were none of his business. However now, the De Noirs had meddled with the townsfolk, and Martin Anderson, the sheriff of Moonacre Valley, was determined to do all in his power to bring peace.
"We are only doing our duty."

"Duty my arse," Sir Benjamin cursed throwing his arms in the air.
"You are arresting an innocent man and letting a child remain in danger!" He stormed to Martin's face. "I will do everything in my power to get you removed once I get my son back." Sir Benjamin jabbed a finger into the sheriff's chest, pushing him back. His officers made to stop Sir Benjamin but Martin placed his hands in the air, holding his men back.

"I will be prepared for you," Martin coldly replied. "Until then, I suggest you search David's house and the De Noir Castle. You may be surprised by what you find. Take him away!"

His men dragged David outside, roughly tossing him onto the jail cart and slamming the door in his face. The policemen then formed a barrier around the cart, holding back Robin and his friends as they struggled to break through.

"We will get you back David! I promise!" Robin shouted, shoving the officers to the side just as the cart drove off. One by one, the officers mounted their horses and followed suit, keeping a sharp eye over their shoulders should anyone follow them.

Robin slumped down with Henry and Richard by the manor's door. Henry was quiet and deep in thought. His hand rested on Richard's shoulders. Richard was stabbing the ground with a stick, cursing the officers under his breath. Robin removed his hat and ran his hand through his curls. He grimaced at hearing Loveday's wails from inside the manor. He didn't know what to do. He wanted to free his friend, find his nephew, and comfort his sister, but he was stumped. He felt useless.

And Maria, she's still avoiding me, thought Robin. He hadn't seen her since morning. Since that look she gave him as she rode away, the same look of betrayal when he called her a child a few years ago. Robin placed his palms over his face and groaned. His thoughts were furious as he worked hard to understand how things could have gone so wrong in so little time.

The rest of the men had scattered about. Sir Benjamin and Mr. De Noir had gone into the study to formulate a new plan. Ms. Heliotrope, Digweed, and Marmaduke ran around passing food to the men. He heard Ms. Heliotrope looking for Maria and her friends to come and help them.
She's avoiding us all, thought Robin, but he had no regrets. The last thing anybody needed was to keep an eye out for her or her friends.

"Here I thought we might actually have a peaceful summer," Richard said rolling his eyes.

Robin shook his head, "It's all a downright bloody mess." He wondered if things could have been different. Maybe if he had been brave enough to be with her these past few years, then he could have protected her and her family. Maybe he could've finish showing her the forest, then she wouldn't have been made to stay put. Maybe if he hadn't been such a dolt, then he could have picked out the traitors amongst the De Noirs and prevented all this. Robin tossed a tuft of grass he had been picking at and sighed.

"It's not your fault," Henry said.

"Then why do I feel like it is?"

...oOo...