Chapter 7

Can't believe we're here again. I change into the clothes I wore when I first got here. Just hiking boots, thick leggings, and a long sleeved t-shirt. Everyone's passed out drunk, and everyone will be sleeping in late. So, it's the perfect chance for me to get out of here.

I wait another hour or so, and put my bag on my back. I make sure I have water, a little food, and my sleeping bag. I feel my heart racing, but as I dash out the camp, my heart slows down. Okay, that was pretty easy. Maybe I've overthought this. I get myself orientated, and head towards where I'm pretty sure a city is in maybe 30 or 40 miles.

I cover two miles in about 40 minutes - before having a sip of water, and taking a deep breath. I hear a branch snap behind me, and I reach in my pocket for my carving knife, but remember Vessel took it. The noise gets closer, and I back away, tripping on a tree root, and assumingly, based on the pain, cutting my leg on a rock. A small wild bunny dashes through the trees and I smile. I'm paranoid.

I push on, for hours, until the sun begins to set again. I notice a small cave beside a river, and smile. That's so pretty. I check my bag for a torch, and roll my eyes. Of course, in my survival bag, there's no torch. Gathering a few fallen branches, I place them on the stone floor and set them on fire with my few remaining matches. I place my blanket close enough to warm myself up, but tactically not too close so I don't burst into flames in my sleep. I chuck my bag on the floor, and use it as a pillow, and shut my eyes. I didn't think I'd be able to sleep like this, to be honest, but walking about 7 or 8 miles probably tired me out enough.

I stare up at the ceiling, and smile to myself. Hope there's not some vicious wolf waiting to rip out my throat hidden somewhere in the shadows.

Eventually, I drift off to sleep.

"Iris."

I sit up, and look around. I see a dark figure in front of me, but not much else.

"Vessel?" I ask, anxious, though I'm sure it's him.

He kneels in front of me, his eyes behind the mask lit up by the fire. I raise an eyebrow, confused. I only used a few branches. That fire should have burnt out by now.

"I warned you not to leave. Not without permission."

I shuffle back, slightly, and I notice his irises turn red. What the fuck is happening?

He reaches into his pocket, and pulls out my carving knife.
"You forgot this." He says, quietly, playfully spinning it around with his finger and thumb.

Oh, shit.

He lifts his empty hand, and places it flat into the fire. His skin doesn't burn, and he doesn't seem to be in pain. After a few seconds, the fire is starved of oxygen, and slowly burns out, so that we're in complete darkness.

I quickly try and stand up to make a run for it, but I can't. Maybe because I hurt my leg. I don't know.

He shoves me over, and pins me to the floor. I can't see much, other than faintly, the whites of his eyes.

I wriggle, and struggle, as much as I can, but he's a hell of a lot stronger than I am.

I see the knife shine as he lifts it, and violently plunges it into my throat.