Prologue

I held it tight in my arms, concealing it from the cruel world surrounding me, and swore to never let it leave my sight. I moved my fingers slowly down the rough edges of the blank parchment, along each corner and fibre. It smelled of soft cherries and cream. As I inhaled, it was as if it had swooped me up into the clouds. It wore a subtle beige colour, dotted with spots of tan. Only this, no words, no designs; completely blank.
I had no idea why I treasured it so much, or why it constantly drew me closer. It was if I felt that there was more to this than simply a blank paper. Possibly beyond the folds, if I opened it the right way, something might just be there. Maybe a story, a drawing, or a letter.
I held these thoughts in my mind for the longest time, as I turned out the light, and crashed down onto my bed. And in my hands was still the unknown parchment.

I woke to the smell of peppered eggs and bacon. It seemed to waft throughout the entire house. "Breakfast!" called Mom.
I slipped the paper into the bottom of my desk drawer and slammed it shut, as I had done for the past week. While I pondered on, down the stairs, I came to our enclosed kitchen.
The newly risen sun beamed upon the kitchen sink, which lit up the whole room. By the stove, in a pearl white and blue striped apron, stood my mother. Her smile was painted on her face, as usual. Walking over with the plate of warm eggs, she beamed at the sight of me, eyebrows rising, teeth sparkling. This, seeming to be the perfect day, has been one of many. Many times I walk down to the sight of my smiling mother, who has made a delightful breakfast. All seems well, until she opens her mouth.
"Henry! Your teacher called this morning! She said that you got into a fight with that boy, Jimmy. Is that true?" Her stare almost tore through my soul.
"Well. It wasn't exactly a fight.... You see, we bumped into each other and-"
"I don't care if there was some misunderstanding! Henry, you need to behave! And I almost forgot; Mrs. Davis, across the street gave me these baseballs that she says you hit into her yard. What kind of game do you think you're playing here?" she implored. There was a long pause until an answer finally came out. It was the pit of all answers, the monstrosity of all replies. It was the only thing that I shouldn't say.
"Baseball!" I knew perfectly that that was not what she wanted to hear. And apparently she knew too.
"You! You think you're cute? For all I care, go on and think you're cute. It doesn't help you one bit. I need you to promise to me that you'll be better. Swear to me that you will do good. For once, that's all I ask." Her eyes grew wide as her tone surprisingly softened. We were both waiting for what I would reverberate. And I hadn't the slightest clue. I stared at her until my eyes watered, using all of my brain powers to summon a perfect comeback. Just one sentence.
"I swear that I will do good."
"Solemnly," she corrected.
There it was... The epitome of all promises, and most likely the best way to get grounded. "I solemnly swear.... that I am up to no good." I grinned with pride.
"Say it louder. I dare you. Go ahead. Don't you want to? I dare you to scream it at the top of your lungs!"
"I SOLEMNLY SWEAR THAT I AM UP TO NO GOOD!"