“I’m like Eve. A Nightborn.”

“A what?”

Tristan shakes his head. “How did you two survive this long without any knowledge about your nature? When a Twice Born is in its mother’s womb, the soul becomes split into two. Into a Dayborn and a Nightborn. If the mother gives birth during the day, it’s the Dayborn that gains control of the body. In other words, if your mother had birthed you after nightfall, Eve would’ve been the dominant and you’d be talking from somewhere inside her head.”

The door slams shut behind me, startling me. Two children race past us, chattering as they go. This place is too public for such a dangerous subject. “Follow me,” I say to him as I turn for the street. I come to an abrupt stop.

Daniel stands before me, a bag thrown over one shoulder, the other hand buried in his trouser pocket. He looks past me at Tristan, and his face darkens. I know he’s assuming the worst. I can’t blame him. But I can’t let him walk away believing something is going on between Tristan and me. “Daniel—”

The rest of my words die in my throat as he resumes walking, brushing roughly past Tristan. He climbs the steps two at a time and disappears into the house.

Tristan laughs. “Looks like Daniel is jealous.”

I make a move to follow him, but Tristan grabs my arm. “Give him time to calm down. He won’t listen to anything you have to say to him now.”

“I’m inclined to do the opposite of anything you suggest,” I say. “Since I find it hard to believe you’d help me reconcile with him”

“You’re right.” There’s hard edge to his smile. “I won’t let you run off after another man and return to me when it’s convenient for you. And you will return to me, Bree, because like I said, Eve and I had a long chat last night. About a lot of things. Mostly about the Twice Born.”

“So?” I say, hoping I don’t sound as anxious as I feel.

“Do you remember what I told you yesterday? That I’d repay your kindness? This is the only time I’ll make this offer. You need information, and I have it. So what do you say we forget about good old Daniel and focus on what’s really important to you?”

He’s so selfish and uncaring. Just like Eve. “Are all Nightborn so horrible?”

That makes him laugh. I’m surprised at how genuine the sound is. So unlike his measured smiles and calculated words. “Let’s go for a walk, Bree.”

Tristan doesn’t glance back to make sure that I’m following him. He knows I will. He knows I’m afraid to give Eve any advantage over me. He also knows I’ve spent a lifetime trying to understand what I am, and I’m desperate for enlightenment.

He knows all of this because he’s a Twice Born, too.

We walk side by side for a long while, following paved roads that take us farther southeast into the trees. We go deeper into the woods than I ever did. It’s new territory for me, but Tristan walks with reassurance.

For someone who claims to be new to Belveer, he sure knows his way around it.

We stop near a gushing stream. All alone, surrounded by towering trees and noisy animals scurrying through the undergrowth. I should be afraid, being out here with another Twice Born—a Nightborn at that—but something about Tristan doesn’t threaten me. Not this way. He’s cunning and self-serving, but I know he doesn’t want to hurt me.

Or so I keep telling myself.

He heads down a short incline toward the stream. When he reaches it, he kneels and scoops up water in his hands, splashing his face. “Refreshing,” he says with a grin, water dripping from his chin. A slant of light breaks through the leafy canopy, making his eyes glimmer like green gems.