Shot 2: Home Sweet Home

Anu didn't know why she ended up crying in front of her aunt that night nor did she understood why she ended up telling her aunt everything including her fears about her parents fighting because of her or that she felt like she doesn't belong in her new home.

Anu cried a lot that night until she drifted off to sleep in her aunt's bed exhausted and when she woke up the next day, she expected her aunt to be upset with her just like her mom.

Her mom didn't get upset with Anu or fought with her Papa when Anu behaved like a good girl. It was only when she got selfish and acted up and cried did her mom got upset with her for not being understanding enough that she can't be with her all the time.

So Anu feared that even her aunt would end up upset with her after last night. She expected her aunt to call up her father and send her back home soon.

So Anu went to her room and freshened up expecting to see her father arrive any moment to pick her up. Instead it had been her aunt who knocked on her door a little later with breakfast tray with her.

"I am not a good cook like your mom. I hope everything is edible. I tried my best" Her aunt spoke up as she placed the tray on the bed. It was the smile on her face that made Anu happy as if she felt like her aunt wasn't displeased with her.

"Thank you aunty. " Anu spoke up at the sight of the food. Her aunt didn't say anything else until Anu finished eating. So Anu assumed her aunt wasn't going to talk about her outburst last night.

But after Anu finished eating and drank her orange juice, her aunt spoke up about last night.

"Do you know I was adopted by my parents too. ?" her aunt told Anu surprising her. Anu only shook her head in answer.

"Your Papa and me were taken in by a very kind people who loved us as their own children. They raised me and your Papa as siblings and family. We didn't share any blood between us but our hearts.

That doesn't mean it was easy. We drifted apart after we grew up and made lots of mistakes along the way. Both of us. But last week, my brother came in search of me. Do you know why because he told me that you remind him of me. His little sister.

You, your Papa and me do know what it is to be adopted and find a new family of her own. It was the reason he wants to give you everything, his total support and it is why he even fights with your mom for you.

That doesn't mean your mom loves you any less. It just means she doesn't understand you like your Papa. Because your mom grew up in a entirely different family where everyone was bonded by blood and marriage.

Your mom doesn't understand your fears Anu. Not that it was her fault. She raised three children of her own and might treat you as she did her own children who were completely secure in her love that they can demand everything from her without the same fears as you do.

So when you tell her you are fine and that you understand her reasons. She take it as it is because she doesn't think that her child would lie to spare her feelings. But you do lie to her in fear she won't like you anymore.

Your Papa sees through it. That is why he speaks up for you instead. So you need to speak up and tell how you feel  for your mom to understand you better and you shouldn't hold back because it might upset her.

But more than any of that you shouldn't blame yourself when your parents have an disagreement. They are married to each other and they would have some disagreements along the way Anu. But that isn't your fault. So you shouldn't blame yourself for it.

Also you do belong Anu. This is your family. And no one is going to send you away. I have just met you a week ago and I love having a niece of my own. The next time you visit  we will go shopping and decorate this room as you wish because this would be your very own room whenever  you visit. We could have more sleep overs,  go on more vacations together and since you are my only niece I am going to spoil you rotten.

What I meant to say is Anu that you don't  just have one home, you got yourself another  home here. So never ever think as if you don't  belong in this family. The Kapadias find family  by heart and not by blood.

So stop worrying about anything.  You might  think of yourself as a grown up but remember  you are still a child.  So don't  go around carrying the entire world on your shoulders.

Your expectations, your wishes , your wants and your needs everything matters. You matter Anu. So don't  settle for anything  less. Speak up more to your parents. Sometime they might not get you, all humans even if they are adults are not perfect, but still tell them the truth because most of the times they will understand you better. It is the only way to let them know you better as well. "her aunt spoke up and hugged Anu surprising her with  more kindness.

Anu didn't  know what her aunt would tell when she started talking about  last night.  But hearing from an adult and someone who knew what it is to be adopted, Anu felt a whole lot better because  her aunt made her believe  that her parents fighting with each other was not her fault but more than that her aunt made her feel like she would always have a home with her and that she belonged  in a family bonded by heart.

The believe only intensified when both of her parents come to pick her up. The fact they were smiling gave Anu hope that their disagreements were resolved between themselves and the fact they both came to pick her up  made her happy  enough that she rushed outside to greet them with a huge smile on her face.

" Come on little one. Time to go back home. I promise to bring you soon to visit here again " her Papa spoke up as Anu kept turning around to frantically  wave goodbye to her aunt.

"Home sweet home" Anu whispered to herself as the car made its way back to her home.

P.S :" The end. Let me know your thoughts  and feed backs. Hit the votes if you liked it "

Juanita Reid