Chapter 3 - Thestrals

Start from the beginning

She was met by a multitude of smells and sounds. The house elves were obviously busy in their preparation for the dinner tonight. A few looked up and gave her genuine smiles. Not wanting to distract them, Luna waved happily and deftly made her way through the space until she found Pitts, who gravely stirred a monstrous pan of stew.

"Hello Pitts! It's wonderful to see you. I am sorry to bother you when you're busy, but I wanted to go see the Thestrals before dinner. Are there any scraps I can bring?" The older house elf looked up from his work. He had a heavy brow and different shaped ears. He always looked a bit grumpy, but Luna knew he was very kind. He straightened as he saw her.

"Miss Luna, good to see you. Pitts hopes you had a good holiday. Pitts is very busy, but Tammy has some scraps you can take. We are making rabbit stew." Luna smiled back gratefully.

"That would be perfect, thank you Pitts."

"No thank you Miss Luna. Would you like something to drink or eat?"

"Thank you Pitts but not this time. I look forward to tasting your stew. Everything smells delicious." At that Pitts chest puffed out in pride and he gave a little bow.

Tammy helped her gather the meat scraps into her bag and also slipped a package of cookies into her coat pocket.

"Thank you, Tammy. You always make the best!" And with some final pleasantries Luna thanked them all and made her way back through the dungeons and out the front door. The grounds were still lightly covered with snow and she gratefully stepped through it in her boots.

It didn't take her very long to reach the Thestral herd. After 5 years, she knew what to look out for. She could tell some of the older in the herd apart from each other. They all had little markings that they were either born with or simply from living in the Forbidden Forest. Only the foals were still skittish, ducking between their parent's skeletal legs as she approached. She quickly took her wand from her hair and cleared a little patch on the ground. Then she reached in her bag and took out a quilt she usually carried with her to the forest to sit on if the ground was too cold. Then she carefully laid out a few of the meat scraps and sat back, patiently waiting for the foals to brave coming closer. Meanwhile an adolescent Thestral that she recognised from markings on its bat-like wings, nuzzled her head softly, coming to settle beside her, folding its spindly body around her. She softly stroked its head, as always marvelling at the soft texture of its fur.

"Hello you, it's lovely to see you again. Are you happy to see me too, or are you just here for the treats?" The Thestral let out a whinny as it nudged her hand. She laughed and fished another scrap from her bag, presenting it. It wasted no time to happily munch the red meat.

"Perhaps a bit of both." She mused softly and gave it another pet.

It was then that she sensed movement behind her, something that didn't sound like an approaching Thestral but rather human footsteps. Curiously she turned her head. The animal beside her tensed, but she soothed it as she made out the figure within the darkening forest.

"Don't worry, it's only Blaise. He's good with animals." The tall boy with upturned obsidian eyes looked at her with an expression she reckoned to be shock. He probably needed some encouragement too. She knew from his roaming eyes that he could see them too. She quickly assessed the herd. Her own lack of alarm seemed to tell the elders there was nothing to worry about, but the foals had retreated back. She sensed she couldn't move or scare them further. Instead she softly turned her head back to the interesting boy that had obviously followed her.

"Hello Blaise. I can't get up I am afraid. It will frighten the foals. But if you come here slowly, I am sure it will be fine." He didn't answer her immediately, but simply stared, his eyes flicking from her, to the quilt, to the Thestral beside her, back towards the herd and the pieces of meat scattered around. He was tall, she noted but also lean with long legs, reminding her of the foals. He held the same skittish energy. As so she smiled and waited patiently. He seemed to focus back on her and the single Thestral, disregarding the herd. He took a tentative step towards her.