𝟏. 𝐚𝐭 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

Growing up, Meri was always known to be calm.

Even as a baby, she was relatively reserved. Not the most introverted but definitely not an extrovert. Unlike her younger siblings Tsireya and Ao'nung who were very happy and social, she was often lost in her own world. As she grew up however, her fictional world of peace and quiet was smashed once she realised the future that was expected of her.

From then on, Ronal and Tonowari held very high expectations for Meri, ones that she always tried to best for the sake of not disappointing her parents. It did leave a huge burden on her shoulders to be strong, especially to set a good example on her siblings. It was hard to carry herself especially when she knew she was a shy person, but was forced to be social almost everyday.

The day started off pretty normal but when Meri heard the roar of the horn alerting everyone of newcomers, she paused. The small group of children she had been spending time freezing at their antics of attempting to pull her thick hair into braids. Their worries however were quickly wiped away when Meri gave them a pretty smile as she stood up.

She made a notion for them to follow close behind her as she slowly walked towards the crowd that had gathered at the shore. Gently pushing through to the front, Meri already saw her parents and siblings, making her way to stand next to her mother, Ronal. She paid no mind to her besides a slight nod which she returned.

Quietly comforting one of the children who seemed skittish, Meri raked her eyes over the guests which everyone was fussing over. There were six Na'vi who were obviously not from the Metkayina clan, but from the Omaticaya tribe. The young Metkayina tuned out the conversation the adults were having and meanwhile took her time to observe each and every one of the Na'vi. Two adults, presumably the parents and four children- Two boys and two girls. One of the boys in particular seemed to be busy ogling at something- or rather someone. She followed his line of sight to see him staring at her younger sister Tsireya, and snickered as said sister slightly squirmed under his gaze with shy eyes.

Meri then brought her attention to the seemingly older one of the brothers, and she'd be lying if she said she wasn't slightly infatuated by what she saw because, well, he was cute. If she took her time checking everyone else out, then she really took her time taking in the sight of him. It took her a while before she realised he was doing the same back, green-yellow eyes staring intently at the na'vi. She fidgeted with her hair at the attention, fingers twirling the long locks while looking away and twisting her ears when her father, Tonowari spoke.

"Toruk Makto and his family will stay with us. Treat them as our brothers and sisters. They do not know the sea so it will be like babies taking their first breath. Teach them our ways so they do not suffer the shame of being useless." He aimed the last sentence specifically toward Meri and her siblings.

She smiled lightly when her brother Ao'nung protested against teaching anything only to be immediately shut down by their father. And slowly the crowd dispersed.

Tsireya who was noticeably excited told the "Sully's" as Meri learned, to follow her and waved her sister off when she gave a look that asked if Meri wanted to come.

The heir turned to her mother who dismissed the children that crowded her feet before speaking to Meri calmly, "You should help your siblings with teaching them our ways." Said girl nodded, already getting ready to leave, thinking maybe she'd get a day off from her duties like her siblings before Ronal stopped her sternly in her tracks, "After you are done your chores."

Stiffening, she gave a tight-lipped smile to her mother before turning around and walking the opposite way.

--

Gathering herbs and flowers, the young na'vi carried the heavy basket around Awa'atlu before setting them down in her family marui and organising them carefully. The daylight had slowly begun disappearing, the ocean turning more golden, she observed. At times like these she felt really at peace, finally able to take some time away from everyone and her horrendously busy schedule. As the future Tsahìk of her village, nearly every waking minute was occupied by her trainings with Ronal or teaching the little children about the village, cultural dances and songs. The girl had nearly no down time so when her mother told her to collect some herbs for medicines she leaped at the opportunity to finally be alone.

She hummed as she organised, tail swishing calmly behind her but the moment was short lived when she heard Ao'nung, Rotxo and Tsireya walk in. Snickers and chuckles came from the two boys while Tsireya struggled with getting them to pipe down. Meri stared in curiosity as they sat down next to her, Ao'nung playfully pulling her hair which she yelped at.

"Meri, How come you didn't help us today?" He asked, and she sighed.

"I wanted to but mother kept me with her all day," said girl pouted. Ao'nung and Rotxo laughed while Tsireya sent a sympathetic look and a rub on the back. Meri pat her head in response.

"Well anyways, today was so funny. The skxawngs attempted to ride an ilu and miserably failed," Ao'nung cackled and the Metkayina furrowed her brow bone.

"Did you not use your ears when father said to teach them?" Meri remarked rather rudely, but Ao'nung was younger than her so she was allowed to be mean. Said brother scoffed.

"If we are going to be forced to do this, I might as well have fun with it."

Meri gave him a look that he dismissed as she kept on organising. Tsireya helped her finish up and she stood herself up, dusting herself off and taking her leave.

"I am going to spend some time with Awhi," she announced, referring to her beloved skimwing. She liked to rub it in that she had managed to tame one in front of her brother who had been struggling for a while now to find his own. Ao'nung rolled his eyes at her remark and hit her shin as she walked out.

She walked to the shore and called for Awhi via a clicking noise in her throat followed by a few yelps. The skimwing came to her in a few seconds, letting out a hiss as it emerged from the water. Meri smiled lovingly as she caressed its snout. She was about to make Tsa'heylu and go underwater when she heard a voice behind her.

"Hey."

She paused in her tracks and turned around to see the cute foreign boy from earlier. She smiled, albeit a little awkwardly as he made his way over, motioning I see you. She copied his movement. "Toruk Makto's son, hello," Meri greeted, her voice significantly quieter than when she was with her siblings.

"Neteyam," he corrected. She repeated it a few times to memorise it, oblivious to the way his ears perked up and his tail swished.

"I'm Meri, I'm the oldest out of Tonowari's children," she finally said after making a mental note on Neteyams name and he nodded, copying what she was doing and repeating her name. She found that she quite liked how her name sounded from him.

There was a short silence between the two, and Meri took notice of how Neteyams eyes looked her up and down, taking in her appearance. A fuzzy feeling welled up in your chest that she ignored. She finally turned around back to Awhi, making Tsa'heylu and hopping on her back.

"Well Neteyam, I'll see you around," the Metkayina said, grabbing a tie of her wrist and tying her hair up before setting off. In the distance she could practically feel Neteyams' eyes boring into your back while she skimwinged off, before submerging herself into the water.

'Hes cute' She thought and smiled.

--

To the ghost that is reading this, Thank you so much! This story is also uploaded on my AO3 account via @/haeriim!

This is my first time writing a story, so tips and criticism is very much welcomed!! TT I definitely need it.