First Day

Oscar POV

I am the best racing driver who ever lived. I have more potential than anyone in Formula One. I'm going to win the championship in my maiden season.

I stride through the front door of the McLaren Technical Centre, repeating my mantras over and over again. My headphones block out any noise, allowing me to focus. I've been here before, but this is my first day of work. I keep my back straight and my head up. My arms are fuzzy with nerves, but as I look around the towering glass atrium nobody could wipe the enormous smile off my face.

Except him.

My heart pounds seeing him again. I was hoping it wouldn't have to be so soon, and he's probably been thinking the same. I have to resist the urge to look around for places to hide. He stands there, laughing and hugging anyone he can grab. I should have guessed this would be his first day of the season too.

Stupid Lando Norris.

I take a deep breath. I knew he would be my teammate before I signed the contract, so any second thoughts are much. much too late. I tear my eyes away and shake myself a little. I've worked so hard to be here, this is my dream. After everything I've been through, I can't let him ruin it.

Zak Brown, the team's American CEO, startles me with a clap on the back. He's tall and heavy set, beaming from ear to ear. We've only met once before. I pull my headphones off as he clamps his heavy hand on my shoulder and the noises of the world come flooding back into my ears.

"G'Morning," I mumble. Forget about Norris. Zak Brown's excitement is infectious so I allow my smile to overtake my face again. This is really happening. I'm really here.

"How are you feeling?" he asks.

"Nervous... But mostly excited."

"There's nothing to be nervous about, you're our new star!"

I chuckle hesitantly and swallow. That's exactly why I'm nervous. Replacing Daniel Ricciardo will mean filling some very big boots, and it didn't exactly go down well when it was announced I'd be leaving Alpine. By now I'm used to controversy, but I want to leave it all behind. I want people to talk about my racing, nothing else.

"You've already had the tour, so let's get straight to business. You'll have coffee in my office with the directors, then media training with Grace, and finally a chance to get to know the engineers in the afternoon. After that you can stay and explore the facility or go home early if you want."

"Sounds good."

"And questions for me? I have to run and set up the conference room."

I gulp and put on my charmer's smile. "At Alpine we always had a party to start the season," I say. "Are you guys as cool as they are?"

"You can't say things like that around here," American Guy laughs. "You're a papaya man now. And the party is on Friday."

###

Coffee with the directors feels like a second job interview, with questions like 'why do you think you're a good fit for McLaren' and 'what unique qualities will you be bringing to our team'. Zak Brown tries to save me a couple of times, but I end up feeling like an impressive statue with people crowded around my feet to stare at me from all angles.

After that, I'm released. Alone without a guide. I have some time for lunch so I wind my way over glass bridges and through white tunnel corridors to the canteen. It takes me a couple of tries to find the right path and the people I pass in the corridor stare and study me as I go. I swallow. I didn't expect to feel this alone.