Chapter 8- Sudden Protectors

(May 27, 2025)

In the pilot compartment of his personal MC-58 Wraith, Admiral Pellaeon looks out as the surface of the planet below comes into better view as the shuttle descends towards the surface. The surface of the planet is covered in a mix of forests, farmlands, and marshlands.

However, as the shuttle descends closer to the surface, Pellaeon notices something. Large swathes of land show signs of heavy devastation by fire. As he looks closer, he sees what looks to be the ruins of a settlement in the distance.

"Hmm. Something happened here, and I don't think it was natural," Pellaeon mutters.

"What do you want to do, Admiral?" the pilot asks, wondering if this sight will make Pellaeon want to go back up to the ship until more information can be determined about this planet and its inhabitants.

"Maintain course, and let's find a settlement. Take great caution, though. I have a feeling this world may not be entirely peaceful," Pellaeon says.

The Wraith and the Hood's other landing craft descend to an altitude of 5,000 feet as they begin searching for signs of civilization. Thankfully, it doesn't take more than a few minutes before the pilot of Pellaeon's shuttle calls out, "Admiral, I got a tally on a small city up ahead. Distance between 6 and 8 miles."

"Good. Move ahead and set down 2 miles from the city limits," Pellaeon orders.

"Copy that, Admiral," the pilot responds. He descends a little bit further and prepares to land as he nears the city while transmitting Pellaeon's orders to the other landing ships.

The Wraith lands first, setting down gently at the specified point. As the pilot shuts down the shuttle and lowers the boarding ramp, the rest of the landing craft come and touch down. Having learned from the first incident where the arrival of the whole 61st Motorized Infantry Brigade nearly caused hostilities with the Sith on Zallin, Pellaeon had ordered a far smaller landing force accompany him on this mission. The landing craft had brought a single tank platoon from the 61st, comprised of just 4 T-72 tanks, and a company of 200 troops from the 1st Rifle Battalion. They also brought several protocol droids for translation if it was needed. However, as a precaution, two flights of SFA-18 Hornets were flying top cover in case the expedition force needed support.

Pellaeon waits outside his shuttle with Major Ronen as the 61st's expedition company finishes disembarking from the landing craft. Once the whole company has assembled, Pellaeon makes his way to the Humvee that will serve as his personal transport and gets in along with Ronen. Once he is strapped in, the Humvee starts driving, the company forming up around it as they start making their way towards the city.

It takes only minutes for the company to reach the outer limits of the city. As they begin to enter the city, Pellaeon notices figures beginning to peak out of their homes. Getting a better look at them, Pellaeon sees they are humanoids. In fact, they are nearly to identical to humans, except for their light pink skin. However, what Pellaeon also notices is the fear on their faces before they duck back into their homes.

"Something's not quite right here. Everyone, be on their guard," Pellaeon says over a commlink to the rest of the company.

The company makes their way all the way to the city center, where they stop and form up into a defensive circle, the tanks defending the lighter vehicles. Troops begin to disembark from the vehicles, weapons in hand but not at the ready to give off less of an image of aggressiveness.

As Pellaeon and Ronen climb out of their Humvee, they see individuals of the native species begin to slowly emerge from buildings around the square. Then, they see the doors of the tall building on one side of the square open. A few warriors exit the building, holding swords at the ready. After them come several figures dressed in fancier clothing, suggesting them to be people in charge.