Phase 3: Chapter 69

Start from the beginning

"These aren't our assigned seats, we can't just sit wherever we want" Ralph whispered harshly.

"Unless we just do it" Jack whispered back, plunking down onto the first aisle seat. Ralph sighed heavily, rolling his eyes, as he pushed past Jack to sit down in the second seat beside him.

"... and these lives will forever be part of ours, part of our story, and all nineteen of them live on through each person in this room who loves them" the school's principal, Kenneth Stone spoke into the microphone on stage. Beside him stood the head officer, Officer Ronald Bailey, in his military uniform. Several other captains, officers, and military personnel were in uniform on and off the stage as well.

Shortly after Principal Stone finished speaking, a trumpeter in military uniform walked onto the stage in silence. He brought his instrument to his mouth and started playing the renowned military song 'Taps' that is consistently played at military funerals and ceremonies. Ralph and all the boys learned about it in their time at the academy. They all know it as the national song of remembrance. The school's bands learned how to play it even in early elementary grades. All the boys in uniform brought their hands to their heads in a salute while the trumpeter played the song, as did most of the former students, including Ralph.

Then it was Head Officer Ronald Bailey's turn to speak. The man spoke about how gracious he was to have had the opportunity to teach and guide all eighteen of the young cadets who lost their lives, as well as work along side Captain Benson. He talked of how he feels blessed every day to work at such an incredible school with a remarkable group of young boys, and a phenomenal team of staff. He talked about Captain Benson's funeral, and about how he made the effort to attend all eighteen of the boys' funerals too; several of which were held here at the academy itself. He spoke about the weight of the incident, and the horrific moment he was informed of what happened to the plane. He assured the crowd that the hardest thing he's ever had to do in his fifty six years of life is call each of the forty cadets' parents and tell them that the plane their boys were on was missing, as were their children. The tragedy of that day and the five months to follow, Officer Bailey said, were horrendous, and left the Bainbridge Military Academy community in a state of despair. He talked about the rescue, about how relieved he was to hear that some of them had survived, but equally as devastated to hear that some of them hadn't. Officer Bailey concluded by declaring that the tragedy would remain on his heart and mind, and would forever be a major part of Bainbridge Military Academy's history, and legacy, for better and for worse.

Jack glanced around Ralph and down at the rest of the row. At the very end, were several people Jack didn't recognize; none of them in the academy's uniform. So he subtly decided to take Ralph's hand in his, despite the possibility of being seen. He squeezed the younger boy's hand as he noticed the tears welling behind the eyes of the boy who fought for composure. Jack was trying his darnest to tune out the whole thing, catching words and phrases here and there that only solidified his desire to hear no more of it.

"We've put together a little memorium video with footage we took of our students including the Unit 8 squadron in the years before the incident, and thanks to our amazing videography team here at Bainbridge Military Academy, we are honored to present that video to you all now" Principal Stone declared as the slideshow presentation on screen was replaced by the video that was being cued up.

"Attention!" the boys' cadet officer's voice could be heard off screen, as the camera panned on each of the forty cadets in their uniforms, their hand to their foreheads as per the military salute. Ralph watched as a younger version of himself appeared on the screen, during maybe his first or second year at the academy. He did look so much younger, so much more naive, innocent, pure. The shot continued down the line, showing each of the living and well faces of the uniformed cadets. The crowd in the assembly hall was filled with quiet mutters from cadets and families as their own faces and those of boys they know, or used to know, came onto the screen. It then panned on Simon; a serious look on his face, his hand to his forehead. Ralph studied the way he subtly moved, blinked, breathed. He now surrendered to the tears he'd been forcing back, allowing himself to grieve his roommate, his nest friend, his ally on the island. The camera continued to focus on each of the boys; some Ralph knew didn't make it to the island, and others who did. When it finally reached Piggy, he felt his heart sink into the bottom of his chest. Ralph felt the urge to burst out crying again like he was earlier, but instead he bravely maintained his composure. As the camera continued down the line, bursts of tears from heartbroken family members could be heard throughout the assembly hall.