Phase 3: Chapter 50

The most frustrating part of being fully alert on a daily basis for the first time in over a month is trying to find your footing again, to catch up in both school and life. At least, that's what Ralph Langley determined in his pursuit to do so. His average in most classes had dropped a solid letter grade or two during his hiatus from Jack. Ralph's lack of understanding of previous curricular content made it difficult for him to grasp what his eighth grade classes were currently learning.

Jack Merridew might have been the reason Ralph was in this mess in the first place, but his relationship with the blond boy was the only thing that made sense to him right now. He was at a loss when it came to school, rebuilding friendships and family connections, eating on a more regular schedule, practicing proper hygiene. These were all things he had to find his footing in again, just like he had to when he first got off the island.

"I don't get it!" Ralph threw his arms up in frustration before dropping his head into his shaky hands. He sat at the table in his kitchen, his math homework open in front of him.

"You're not even trying" Jack declared, an equal amount of frustration in his voice. "Come on, this is basic shit. If you can't figure this out, you're not going to understand anything that comes after it."

"I can't do it" Ralph's voice was muffled by the hands he held over his face. He was becoming irritable, and it was Jack who was on the receiving end of it. They'd been sitting there for a solid two hours now. At least.

"Fine" Jack said flatly. "Fail for all I care."

Ralph dropped his hands to look at Jack. Both their expressions were bitter and tense as they grew frustrated with each other. "Clearly I'm going to fail regardless of whether you care or not" Ralph had convinced himself.

"Quit feeling sorry for yourself and fucking try already" Jack rolled his eyes. "What happened to the annoying, stupidly positive kid on the island who never stopped trying to get rescued, huh?"

"He's still in the recovery room" Ralph considered.

"Jesus Christ" Jack flopped back against the back rest of the wooden chair he sat upon. "Why don't we take a break, alright?"

Ralph nodded wordlessly, freeing himself from the misery, closing his textbook just so he wouldn't have to look at it any longer. Jack sighed and kicked the chair out from under himself. He moved to wedge himself in the little space between where Ralph sat and the table, earning a tired but sincere smile from the younger boy as he sat down in the younger's lap. Jack rested his arms on Ralph's shoulders, staring the boy in the eyes as his fingers locked behind his head.

"And a damn good break at that" Jack said smugly but quietly so anyone who might enter the room unexpectedly wouldn't be able to hear him.

Ralph chuckled lightly at him, feeling the math-related tension leaving his body. He pressed his forehead against Jack's, breathing in the joyous scent of him. He was already feeling better.

Jack pressed his lips confidently yet gently to Ralph's, sinking into the kiss as the brunette's arms naturally found their way around his slim waist. Ralph kissed him back, wondering how he could be too tired for math but fully energized when it came to touching Jack.

Ralph and Jack were so consumed with each other in the moment, hyper-focused on the physical connection between their bodies and their intertwining souls. Jack could hear nothing but the sound of Ralph's heavy breathing as he kissed his face all over in that invigorating way that made the younger boy melt. Ralph could feel nothing but the ashen, hot skin of Jack's body as he ran his hands up and down the boy's torso beneath his white metal band t-shirt. So when Jeffery walked in, he abruptly stopped in his tracks at the sight of Jack sitting on Ralph. He watched his son giggle softly while Jack urgently kissed his nose and cheeks, an obvious rouse to invoke that particular reaction of him.