𝐕. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐏𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐎𝐟 𝐎𝐮𝐫 𝐂𝐫𝐚𝐟𝐭

Start from the beginning

Rhea's cream feathers shifted to a bright red, but the animal showed no inclination of actually knowing what was happening.

"There. And to change her back, so poor Rhea doesn't scare the life out of the rest of the owls in the Owlery, we use 'Reparifarge'." With her words, Edith tapped Rhea once again, and the vibrant colour drained from her feathers, the original shade returning.

Some students clapped, other muttered amongst themselves.

Edith let Rhea hop off her arm and sit on a metal perch off to the side again before turning back to the class.

"Colovaria's been used to alter hair colours, flags, eyebrows, fabrics, paint, decorations, animals, clothing, plants like flowers and grass and much, much more. But be careful, while changing the colour of something seems harmless, you should really always think about why you're doing what you're doing. A lot of witches and wizards use the spell to disguise themselves, much in the same way that metamorphmagus' do." Edith clapped her hands, her face brightening. A dove of confidence seemed to rise from her chest, and her shoulders relaxed.

"Now, I'd like you all to find a partner, and practice the spell on eachother. Your goal is to change the other person's hair colour to a single shade. And don't worry, none of you will be leaving with a head full of green hair, myself and Professor McGonagall will be sure to change back any... unflattering shades you might be subjected to. Now, find a partner please."

After a second or so of silence, the class divided into groups, and Edith walked around the room, correcting a few stances here, and recommending another pronunciation there as she went.

She bit back a smile as Hermione waved her wand, and Seamus' hair lit up in a beacon of colour. The boy yelped, dragging his hands through the orange strands with wide eyes.

"Fantastic, Hermione! Five points to Gryffindor."

Edith floated around the room, smiling to herself as she watched the attempts.

"Dean, aim for Padma's hair, not her eyebrows."

"Neville, it's okay, you don't have to apologise to her for casting the spell. It's a very good result, five points to Gryffindor. Now Hannah, you try to change Neville's hair colour."

"Ron, pick a colour and stick with it please."

"Well done, Draco. Five points to Slytherin. Lilac hair suits you, Miss Parkinson."

"Harry, try to be more firm with the movement, be confident in what you're casting." Edith stopped beside the boy, who had his wand aimed at Ron's hair.

"Make it blue, give us something to laugh at." Edith muttered, standing behind him with both hands on his shoulders.

Harry grinned, waving his wand again. "Colovaria!"

Ron's long, ginger locks changed colour like a breeze of wind flew past, and his hair gleamed in a bright blue.

Hermione burst out laughing from a little ways away, and Edith could've sworn that McGonagall smiled to herself as she continued to write.

"Good man." Edith said proudly, squeezed the boy's shoulders and giving him a quick hug before she pulled away, strolling over to another group of practicing students.

Harry watched her go, lowering his wand. He grinned.

For a moment, he had seen Professor Lupin in her place. From the praise, her proud expression, kind eyes and her fun twist on a lesson, it was clear to see the similarities between the two.

He could see why they had gravitated towards one another. Truthfully, when the Weasley's had sat down at the table the night after the Quidditch World Cup, he wasn't overly surprised when their relationship came to light.