137. you've already lost

Start from the beginning

    Regulus and Maria had spoken about their daughter, about how it might be safer to keep her a secret until the war is over. They never decided what to do, but Maria felt obliged to lie in that moment. A horrible chill had trickled down her spine when he'd asked and she's not one to ignore her gut, not anymore.

    Riddle narrows his eyes but seems to buy her story, "pity." He says simply. "One of my death eaters was found dead down Knockturn Alley a couple of months ago now. . .you wouldn't happen to know anything about that, would you, Potter?"

    "Why would I?"

    "Answer the question; yes or no?"

    "No. I don't know anything about your dead death eater." Another lie. She knows exactly who it was and how he died. Because Regulus had killed him.

    Riddle sighs, sitting down on one of the emerald armchairs before the fire, "you shouldn't lie to me, Maria." He says and her blood runs cold, her thumb twirling the serpent ring around her middle finger subconsciously as he stares at her. "It was Gasper Avery, a very loyal follower of mine. Granted he was a little too immature. But he was a good soldier."

  "Soldier?" Maria scoffs, shaking her head. "Is that all they are to you? If so, Tom, then you've already lost."

   A small yet wicked smile settles on Riddle's face as he gets to his feet and walks closer to Maria who feels the urge to step back yet she stands her ground, lifting her chin and glaring up at him as his eyes move over her face calculatingly.

    "Follow me." He says, brushing past her and Maria lets out a breath, turning around and following behind him. "Nagini." Maria's eyes widen in fear as a huge snake slithers past her ankle, sending anxious shivers up her body as she slowly trails behind the infamous Dark Lord.

    Maria can hear indistinct voices from behind the door they're head for and Riddle waves his wand, opening the door wide and revealing the circular table. It's a large, black table with identical chairs set around it, all equal distances apart and a select few death eaters are present around the table. She recognises a lot of them: Lucius Malfoy, Evan Rosier, Ruben Mulciber, Bellatrix LeStrange, Rabastan and Rodolphus LeStrange, Crucis Nott and a few others.

    Maria surmises that this is Voldemort's inner circle and she repeats the names over and over in her head for when she gets back home. If.

    "Good evening, friends." Riddle says, the serpent smoothly gliding across the polished wooden floors beside him. Maria blinks, her eyes meeting the dark ones of Evan Rosier who tilts his head. "As some of you know. . .this is Maria Potter."

    There's a series mutters throughout the death eaters she has never met before yet they instantly go silent under Lord Voldemort's gaze. Maria bites her tongue, knowing that even her wand that's shoved down the waist of her jeans can help her now. She's completely outnumbered by dark wizards.

   "Maria, I'm sure you're still wondering why I sent Bellatrix to get you this evening." Riddle turns back to her and she purses her lips. "I know that Black is not very. . .fond of us anymore. Was always rather brooding about it all, actually. However we have a preposition for you."

    Maria quirks an eyebrow, "what?"

   "Join us." Riddle smirks and the room is silent as everybody waits in anticipation for the Potter girl's response.

    They were not expecting her to laugh. That caught them all off guard, even the Dark Lord. At first, she'd smiled before letting out an actual laugh, as though his preposition was so stupid it was actually hilarious.