Part 21

"Oh, Haru."

I pause as I start to continue. "What?"

"The beetle messed up your hairstyle," Junta worries. "Let me fix it."

"What hairstyle?" I laugh, but I let him start coming through my hair with his large hands. It feels nicer than I'll ever admit, having someone comb through my hair like this. It reminds me of when I was a child and my mother would insist on brushing my hair even though it was short enough I didn't have to. Even now, I only brush my hair once or twice a month.

"You done?" I ask after a few minutes of Junta messing with my hair.

I feel him flinch through his hands. "Ahaha, well...I've never actually done anyone else's hair before so..."

"It's fine," I sigh. "My hairstyle is whatever the pillow decides it'll be."

"Really?" He sounds surprised, which surprises me. "It usually looks pretty good."

Woah boy. This can't be good. "T-Thanks."

"Haru! Junta!"

We both flinch away from each other as I see Emi running down the street toward us. How does she know Junta? The only answer is that she's been mind controlled too. I was right, not even Emi is a safe space for me.

"I can fix your hair," the purple haired girl offers as she reaches us. "Unless you'd rather Junta do it." That last part is spoken with intent as she raises an eyebrow.

"Ah..." What do I say to that? And why's Emi trying to set me up with two guys at the same time? No, that's just how she is, and how she's always been.

"I'm no help," Junta admits, and I feel his warm hands leave my hair, replaced by a strange sense of sadness that I quickly shake away. Emi comes up behind me and ruffles my hair a few times, then walks to my front and combs out the part that hangs between my eyes.

"There! All done! Looks pretty good." I smile gratefully until she turns to Junta and adds, "Don't you think, Junta?"

He blinks in surprise, his cheeks turning light pink. "Y-Yeah. It does. I mean, it looks like it always does, which is good..."

I sigh. Well, there goes any hope he might not have a crush on me, not that there was much of that to begin with.

"Thanks." I send a look in Emi's direction and she returns it with a smug smile. Every time matchmaker, huh? Not that I'm surprised.

As we start off I watch Junta closely, but he doesn't seem to notice. He chats with Emi and I casually, discussing classes or memories we share. He really is just like an actual childhood friend, except for the fact that he's...not. But somehow I don't mind. I think I can be friends with him, even if it starts now and not ten years ago.

Yeah, I think that'll work just fine.