yet the more you swam on, the greater your need to breathe became, and you eventually sprung up through the surface to sharply release the air you were holding. your brothers soon joined you, followed by tuktirey as she let out a few coughs.

"how are we supposed to do this?" lo'ak breathily questioned, struggling to tread above the water to catch his breath.

"i have... no idea," neteyam answered, just as winded.

inhaling once more, you dunked your head underneath the surface to see where your guides had gone, finding them waiting at the sea floor.

tsireya met your eyes with a smile, motioning some sort of signal with her hands in what you assumed was an effort to communicate with you and your siblings. you furrowed your eyebrows, shrugging confusedly at her signs before she gestured for you to follow along.

taking another deep breath, you and your family dove under, quickly kicking against the water to try and catch up with the siblings and their friend. but yet again, your need for air soon interrupted your lesson, and the four of you swam back up to the surface.

the metkayina teenagers joined you at the top of the water, tsireya's eyebrows furrowed in concern as she looked over at you. "are you all right?"

"you're too fast, wait for us!" tuktirey whined, bringing a hand up to rub at the water pooling underneath her eye.

"just breathe," the girl voiced.

"that's kind of hard to do when there's no air," you mumbled, earning a scoff of a laugh from neteyam.

aonung finally emerged from below, shaking his head as he looked between the four of you. "you are not good divers."

you let out a huff at his criticism, rolling your eyes as he looked toward his friend with a laugh. "maybe good at swinging through trees, but—"

tsireya cut her brother off with a soft slap to the head, telling him to knock it off as your own brother sighed.

"come on, bro," lo'ak pouted.

"we don't speak this finger talk," neteyam voiced, holding up a hand to mimic their underwater language with a shrug. "we don't know what you're saying."

"i will teach you," the female na'vi offered, looking toward rotxo as he spoke up with a question.

"where is kiri?"

"kiri?" you echoed, widening your eyes as you realized that your sister was indeed missing from your group.

"who?"

"kiri, where is kiri?" he repeated as you and your siblings scanned around the top of the sea for the younger girl.

you let out a sigh. "she probably got the hang of it and swam off- she really loves wildlife."

"huh, a tree-hugger," aonung joked, laughing along with his friend as you sent a glare his way.

"better than being a salt-licker," you retorted, earning a snort from neteyam, who disguised his amusement as a cough, and a loud laugh from your twin.