Chapter 1 - Cover Stories

Start from the beginning

Charlotte caught her mother's eye in amusement. This lady was in a league of her own.

'We couldn't intrude,' Grace protested.

'Nonsense, Charlotte I can introduce you to my son. I assume you'll be starting at Winchester High School on Monday?'

Charlotte frowned and nodded, new schools were the worst part of moving.

'Yes she will be,' Grace replied already starting to give in. She figured it would be good for Charlotte to meet someone before she started the new school.

'Fantastic, I'll see you at six thirty then,' Jody beamed seeming delighted with herself to have convinced them.

Charlotte couldn't help laughing once they'd closed the door, 'Oh my God mum she was a bit much! At one point I think she was trying to peer over our heads into the house!'

Grace giggled, 'Be nice.'

'I hope her son is nice, I couldn't bear another school year without some close friends.'

'I'm sure he will be,' Grace busied herself in her bag. 'I saw a convenience store at the end of our street. Will you walk down and get us some milk and bread for the morning?' Grace asked opening her wallet to pass her daughter some money.

Charlotte nodded, squashing the feeling of unease of going out by herself. She knew it was only the first few days in a new town that made her feel this way. She'd soon settle into life at Winchester, she was sure of it. Grabbing her handbag she slipped out the front door and headed down the street toward the shop she'd seen when they arrived. The little shop was gorgeous in itself. Everything so far in this town was so old and built with character. Charlotte smiled at the man sitting at the front counter, grabbing a basket she dashed around to shop picking out the few essentials. She paid for them in cash, the man just smiling at her the whole time not saying a word. On her way back up the street she spotted a woman in the opposite house outside watering her garden and a group of young men running down the street. Everything was so normal here... Charlotte could already feel the unease slipping away. He would never find them here. How could he?

One of the guys running suddenly stopped, leaning over with his hands on his knees breathing heavily.

'I'll see you tomorrow!' He called out to the others and started a warm down outside Charlotte's house.

Charlotte watched him as she walked across the street careful to not cross paths and draw his attention. The guy was pretty gorgeous, she noticed with a slight smile. He had light blonde hair, and a tanned stomach which she could plainly see after he ripped off his singlet throwing it to the ground as he stretched. Charlotte whipped past him to her driveway disappearing into the house before he noticed her. The town was definitely improving as the minutes wore on.

...

A few hours later the two Avery women put the finishing touches on their outfits for dinner and headed outside, crossing the large front lawn to their neighbours house. They were greeted by an over enthusiastic Jody ushering them into her home that Charlotte had to admit smelt lovely. It was Italian cooking, her favourite and she could smell the fresh herbs and pesto from the kitchen which was making her mouth water. Charlotte loved to cook and bake. She would have normally made a cake or desert to take over to someone's house when invited, but they really hadn't had time.

'Charlotte, let me introduce you to my son Max.' Jody smiled. 'Max?' She called up the stairs. 'Come and meet the new neighbours.'

To Charlotte's utter surprise down came the boy from outside. He was freshly showered and dressed in a pair of red shorts and a polo shirt, his hair newly done, but he was definitely the same guy stretching on her front lawn earlier.