Chapter 3: Sleep talking

Author's note: I probably shouldn't be writing this right now...
...
...
Well, for the greater good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yuze's POV

He looked happy, mumbling something about being okay enough to stay at the party even though he couldn't even stand up straight on his own. By the time we got to his bed, he was already fast asleep on my shoulder.

He mumbled something about not leaving him behind.

"Don't worry, I'll be right by your side," I replied.

He looked calm. I got up to take a bath and realised I was a little unsteady by then.

"I should drink some water...." I looked to Partner, still sleeping peacefully. He'll pribably wake up with one hell of a hangover. "Some for you too. Be back in a second," I added, walking carefully to the kitchen.

The cold water brought me back to  slightly and I filled a cup for him and walked back.

He looked like he was in agony.

I rushed over, setting the glass on the table beside him.

"Yuze..." he said in a trembling voice.

Before I could even think to say anything back, he continued, "please... don't go..."

I wodered what was going on in his head.

Should I wake him up?

I reached out to him and by fluke, he manged to grab hold of it, pulling me onto him as he held me close with the other hand.

"P-partner?!" I let out as a stammer.

He was crying onto my shoulder.

I relaxed in his arms.

"So, times were hard for you too, huh?" I replied softly.

I focused on thinking of a story for a dream that would make him feel better.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knight's POV

I remember seeing her in my arms...

I know it was just a story my mind came up with... an alternate version of events where I, despite the gate and any other obstacles in my way, managed to find the strength to be at her side as she died.

I knew it was a dream... but it felt real. She felt real... the cold metallic feel of her armour. The warmth of her skin. A fading warmth.

I saw the pommel of the dagger jutting out of her stomach. She was losing blood fast and removing it would just aggravate her condition.

"Stay with me Yuze!" I screamed out.

She smiled weakly and laughed, "Part...ner... look..." she pointed out to the distance, to the empty sky "They're running away... the Invaders are running away after you showed up.. "