Chapter 2: Alternative solution

It was six in the morning and almost time for morning rounds. Back in her call room, Sophie wasn't able to fall sleep. After completing her exhaustive research and brainstorming surgical alternatives, she spent the remaining time tracking and contacting his group members and employer. Thankfully, she was able to contact them quickly. After discovering Jimin was missing, they never left the country. They expresses shock and concern for Jimin's present condition and told her they were all coming to see him immediately.

It was morning, and time to get up for morning rounds with her team.  Sophie got out of bed and headed to the busy emergency room. She found the small conference room where her staff orthopaedic surgeon, Dr. Jones, and her senior from the Night Shift, Dr Warren, were already sitting around a large table with multiple patient charts from the previous night.

A few moments later, two other doctors entered the room. They were the new shift for the day, coming in to hear what happened the night before to carry on with the work.

Loading up on coffee from the nearby coffee maker, Sophie made her way to the chair next to Drs. Warren and Jones.

"Ok, let's get started" said Dr. Eagle, the new staff surgeon coming in for the day shift.

"We had a very busy night, Dr. Eagle" Dr. Warren began. "There was a bus roll over and many injuries require a surgical intervention. Let's begin by discussing this patient first. His name is Park Jimin, he is 21 years old and a South Korean national, visiting the country with his Korean pop group for a video shooting."

"Does he have insurance?" Asked the incoming resident doctor, Dr. Mark Smugg, in a flat and bored tone of voice. Sophie felt the anger rise inside her. Is that really the most important factor to know right now? Would we refuse to treat him if he can't pay for the surgery? She thought to herself.

"Yes he does, Mark." Dr Warren jumped in. "But I would like to think that is not the most essential part of what we need to review at this time, as it would not affect whether we would withhold care from him," he sternly continued, a tinge of annoyance apparent in his voice as he spoke to his colleague and classmate.

Dr. Eagle smiled at the two young doctors, recognizing he needed to intervene in their stand off. "Dr. Warren, please continue to tell us about our patient," he said gently.

Dr. Warren took an immediate cue from his supervisor and continued.

"Mr. Park sustained fractures of his ankle and foot, in the following areas."  Dr. Warren pointed to a computer screen with Jimin's X-rays to provide his team with a visual demonstration of his patient's extensive injuries. "I think the best option would be to fuse a few joints here and here," he pointed again, "as it is the standard procedure for such injuries," he justified. "This would provide Mr. Park the best long term functionality for walking and perhaps even some running in the future."

Dr. Warren looked around the room to see if his team had any additional comments or questions about the proposed intervention. The staff surgeons Drs. Eagle and Jones nodded at him in silent agreement, while Dr. Smugg tossed his neck to the side to indicate wanting to keep the talk moving. 

Mark Smugg had a very different personality from Dr. Warren. He liked a fast paced environment, had very little patience, and did his best work in the operating work where he did not have to talk to anyone and could focus on working with his hands instead. Team conferences and talking to patients were just a necessary obstacle that he needed to get through as quickly as possible in order to get back to operating, and students like Sophie were an inconvenience, since they always had questions or suggestions that delayed the already long conversations.

"Ok then! Let's continue to the next patient!" Dr. Smugg jumped in as soon as he saw that Dr. Warren's plan was approved by the staff surgeons.

"Alright," Dr. Warren sighed in slight annoyance, recognizing he was being rushed. "Next, we have..."