𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑶𝑵𝑬: 𝑳𝑶𝑶𝑺𝑬 𝑬𝑵𝑫𝑺

Sounds of shattering glass and loud haunting footsteps filled the atmosphere. Four siblings huddled together in a guest bathroom, sitting quietly as the torment continued downstairs.

"We have to help her," Aja whispered to her older brother taka, who shook his head and stood near the door.

"She said to stay down," he said bluntly, eyeing the twins over in the corner, hugging each other for comfort.

Aja was growing impatient. She couldn't help but pace around as the noises downstairs grew louder. Faintly they could hear a creak coming from the tub where Aja was. She'd punched a hole into the tile wall behind her, eyes glowing a golden hue.

Taka stared at his sister, mouthing the words 'calm down' only making her roll her eyes and step away from the area. That's when they heard her.

"I don't have anything for you." their mother pleaded with whoever was downstairs. Another shattering sound followed her words. Something was thrown, something heavy.

"Where is she, Saa'vani?" suddenly, they heard a woman's voice. Her voice was cold and demanding. Suddenly, all the other noises stopped.

"She isn't here, Valentina. I've told you this."

"So I'm supposed to believe you don't have your superhuman daughter just wandering around? Do you think I'm an idiot?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

It was quiet for a while before anyone spoke again.

"I've allowed you to return to Wakanda or surrender her to us. Instead, you continue to play in my face—your times up, saa'vani."

"Valentina, have I not been your most valuable scientist? Let my baby go. I've done everything-"

"Everything but surrender her."

Then there was silence, but this time it was heavy.

"Ndiyathandaza ukuba ufumane uxolo."

Was what was last heard from their mother before a loud pop erupted, followed by a thud.

"Let's go."

The footsteps were retreating, and the sound of trucks revving up outside masked the sounds of the crying heard in the bathroom. Taka kept a straight face. Instead, he balled up his fist and pulled open the door, slowly stepping out.

"amawele ayojonga macala onke aqinisekise ukuba akukho mahluko." he commanded, watching the twins scurry out to check around the house.

Aja didn't wait for an order. She walked out of the bathroom into the hall to find her mother's office. There was broken glass everywhere. They had trashed their home entirely. Once she reached the door, she touched the cold knob yanking gently, realizing it was still locked, how her mother would have it when she worked. Taking one step back, Aja kicked the door, making it fly across the cold dark room.

She scanned the office, papers everywhere, a broken window letting the cold winter air in. She stumbled across something as she walked. When she looked down, she let out a piercing scream that was heard around the house, a cry that led her siblings right to her. When they got there, they saw their mother curled up in Aja's arms, lifeless.

"Mommy." Aja cried, holding her mother close, her clothes slowly drenched in her blood.

The twins noticed lights outside and tugged their brother.

"We have to keep moving, sister." taka said coldly, reaching down to pull Bali away.
"They're watching for us. Mom told us what to do. Now we have to do it."