Mistletoe

Reader introduces Thranduil to the concept of mistletoe

───────────────────────────────────

"What do you mean?" The King's voice was full of confusion as he looked from your hand that was fixing the mistletoe to the ceiling, to your face, his brows drawn together in a frown. You had just explained to him the purpose of hanging mistletoe at such a time of year, during such a feast, and Thranduil appeared to be incredibly confused about it.

"It's a tradition." You stated simply, shrugging.

Thranduil eyed the mistletoe suspiciously, hands clasped behind his back as he stood at a safe distance. He watched you climb down from the steps and stand back to admire your handiwork. From the look in his eyes, you figured he would be stepping around the mistletoe all night during the party and it was a little amusing to you to see how perplexed this had made him. Truthfully, you weren't sure why he was in here at this moment, not having expected him to be that involved in the decorating of the hall for this particular festival. There had been talk that he didn't intend to even turn up to the party at all.

"I better go and get ready." You announced, turning to give him a soft smile. You couldn't quite read his expression as he bid you farewell and watched you leave the hall, heading for your chamber where you ran yourself a relaxing bath and readied your outfit for the nights celebrations.

The decorations in your hair were sparkling like stars as you descended the stairs and made your way towards the hall, immediately handed a chalice of what appeared to be wine by one your friends. You laughed and soon enough you were feeling warm and happy from the atmosphere. Celebrating with those you held dear was one of your favourite things in the whole world. Time passed by in a colourful blur and yes, once or twice, you found yourself caught beneath the mistletoe, laughing as you kissed your friends on the cheek. One of the guards did actually steal a little kiss on the lips and, though shocked, you did manage to find the humour as you smacked his arm playfully and turned away.

Your eyes immediately met the King's dark gaze.

He was staring intently at you from his seat at the head of the long table. You didn't know why but he looked a little angry. You hadn't even known he was here, having believed he would be a no show like you'd been told, and you found yourself a little startled. Flushing, you tore your gaze away from him, more than a little embarrassed that he had apparently been witness to your antics. The wine flowing through you had gone to your head quite quickly.

Excusing yourself, you tiptoed in a wide circle around the mistletoe so you wouldn't be caught out again, and hurried outside onto a balcony. Sucking in a breath of fresh air, you willed your face to cool down.

"Not running from me, I hope." The deep, smooth voice from over your shoulder made you jump.

"My Lord!" You lifted a hand to your heart, flustered. "Of course not! No, I... I simply needed a moment to myself. I fear I've overdone it on the wine..." It was an attempt to lighten the mood but your tone didn't quite convey it. You turned away and winced, looking out over the forest.

There was a long silence and you almost thought that he had gone back into the party, when you were suddenly aware of him taking a quick stride towards you. You turned around at the same moment, finding yourself inexplicably caught between the balcony railing and his body. He was close. Too close. Why was he standing so close? Your eyes were fixed so hard on his face that you barely registered that one of his arms had moved until he raised his eyebrows and glanced somewhere above your head, making it clear he wanted you to look.

Lifting your gaze, a soft gasp escaped you when you saw directly above you both, caught between his lithe fingers, a sprig of mistletoe.

You opened your mouth to speak but the words bubbled away as you locked eyes with him again, something in the way he was gazing at you causing your breath to catch in your throat. His eyes seemed dark, almost hungry, as he looked at you.

"You know..." He murmured, voice low as he somehow shifted his body even closer to you, something you hadn't thought possible. "I did not much enjoy watching them fawning all over you in there."

Your lips parted slightly, shocked at the words that had just left your king's mouth. He took it as an opportunity to lean in, closing the distance between both of your lips, and capturing you into a soft, gentle kiss. Nothing like the ones on the cheek you had been collecting all night. Nothing like the one the guard had stolen with a chuckle.

Thranduil kissed you carefully at first, testing the waters, and then his tongue began to beg for entry, which you found yourself all too eager to allow, as the kiss deepened. One hand lifted to your cheek, holding your face gently, as the one that had been holding the mistletoe over you both came to grasp your waist, pulling you flush against him. You gasped softly into his mouth, surprised. You felt him smile into the kiss.

Though you found yourself not wanting it to, the kiss came to an end, and your eyes fluttered open. Thranduil was looking back at you, taking in your stunned expression, your freshly flushed face, your kiss swollen lips. A smirk tugged the corner of his mouth as he slowly let go of you. Your body practically cried at the loss of his hand on your waist.

Presenting you with the mistletoe with a graceful flourish, you tentatively reached out and took it from him as Thranduil took a step backwards, hands clasped behind his back again. "I think." He said, amusement dancing in his bright eyes. "That I quite like this tradition, after all." Thranduil kept your gaze for another long moment before his eyes dropped once more to your lips and then he turned on his heel and rejoined the party, leaving you on the balcony, stunned and giddy.