33 | Little Family

Start from the beginning

How that man possibly had the stamina to be awake after little shuteye is a mystery, but perhaps that was part of his appeal.

Once you have freshened up and entered the living room, Haru excitedly reveals Nanami's return (to which you pretend to be surprised about, of course). 

Even though the boy is not quite sure why Nanami disappeared and reappeared in the first place, his young brain doesn't think too much about this and is instead bouncing off the walls.

The reason becomes obvious when the boy leads you into the dining area just as Nanami steps out from the kitchen.

"Waffles!" Haru announces and points at the filled platter in the man's hands.

Everyone knows that waffles are Haru's favorite breakfast food as well as the superior choice to pancakes.

However, Nanami himself is who you are fixated on instead.

It's rare to see him with your purple apron wrapped around his front, the sleeves of his button-up rolled to his elbows, and the thick veins that run through his strong forearms so obvious. 

His entire appearance makes him seem so docile and so...domesticated, and you couldn't help but think that Nanami would make such a good malewife.

A quick glance at him reveals that he's similarly been watching you with rapt attention. 

Despite spending so many years in his presence, his hazel gaze this morning especially makes your heart palpitate more, followed by his greeting, "You sore, kitten?"

Caught utterly off-guard, heat suffuses your face. 

"Maybe."

Memories of open-mouth kisses and desperate groans are all that flood your brain, and you cautiously glance in your son's direction just in case he had the ability to read your thoughts (side note: he can't).

Now seated, Haru is too enamored with the maple syrup-ed goodness anyway to make any effort to understand the conversation.

"This almost feels like my birthday!" he exclaims, referring to just how happy he is.

Nanami, who sits across from him, chuckles. As you join the duo, he pours a cup of coffee for you before doing the same for himself.

"Haruto, you're not turning five for another few days."

"I know."

"So, what's the plan? Anything you want for your special day?"

For him: No, not really.

He has more friends and toys than he could ask for. He has a mother who cares about and protects him.

Additionally, as his thoughts are maturing, he realizes that the man in front of him has been more of a father to him than his actual father could ever be.

Everything in his little world feels so perfect.

Almost perfect.

"A baby!"

A what?!

You choke on your coffee while Nanami's hands freeze midair.

Haru mistakes the combined silence for confusion and is worried that he hadn't been specific enough.

Therefore, he adds, "A baby brother! Or sister."

Everyone in his kindergarten seemed to have one of those and they sounded rather fun!

So Haru is hoping that you and Nanami could drive to the nearest department store and buy one (or two).

Wiping at your mouth, you carefully compose yourself. "Baby brothers and sisters, my dear, can take some time."

Even if Haru is slightly disappointed, he is suddenly more confused instead. 

"Really?" he chimes, his sweet voice so innocent and oblivious. "Babies don't just come from Walmart?"

Where was he even getting these ideas from?!

Thankfully, Nanami decides to field this next question. "No, not Walmart."

He wants to stop there, but Haru had to press, "If not Walmart, then from where?"

There's a long pause.

"From two people who really love each other because when they do, they become wizards and do, um," he side-eyes you as though to search for help, "they do...some magic."

"Oh, magic!" 

At the word, Haru's aquamarine eyes twinkle with curiosity, his thoughts traveling to what he remembers from the Harry Potter movies he had watched. "And do these people use a magic wand, too?"

How is anyone supposed to respond to that?

Only Nanami is brave enough to clear his throat.

"Why yes," he responds very matter-of-factly. "Yes, they do."

"Okay," Haru acquiesces. 

With his curiosity finally satiated, he takes another bite from the waffle on his plate.

But then the boy adds, "You and Mommy have one year to give me my present, Nanamin."

Excuse me?! 

Jaw dropped and utterly flustered from the command, you are debating whether to reprimand your son until Nanami chuckles from beside you. 

"He's getting bold."

"...I know."

He raises a brow at you. "Think Haru knows what we've been doing while he was—"

"No," you deadpan, and you would rather not think about it.

When the bickering soon ebbs into the apartment's typical idle chatter again and the maple syrup's perfume dulls into mere wisps in the air, the laughter, the happiness, the warmth...

This all reminds you of the little family you've once dreamed about for yourself and your son. 

With everyone back in place, the household feels so loving and complete and your only wish is that such bliss could be promised forever.

Happy Holidays, my dear readers! 

Plus, to those who celebrate, Merry Christmas and Merry Christmas Eve. xoxo

next update: Friday