Chapter 12 - Big Love, Big Heartache

Começar do início

"You are now."

Everything that happened with me because of that star flashed through my mind. "Okay, maybe a little. But I'm still short. I go up to his belly, Donna! When I'm only five years younger than him!"

She came over to me and stood on her knees next to me. She put an arm around my shoulders and snuggled against me, giving me a smile. She said quietly, "He doesn't care about that. Remember that he leaned down all the way from his full height and kissed you in a way that made you almost melt? That's incredibly romantic and shows that love knows no bounds."

Remembering feeling those lips on mine made my heart start beating faster, and my cheeks felt warm. "He's a great kisser."

We both squealed and giggled girlishly, and she hugged me from the side. "I love you, little big sis, and I want you to be happy. You're not happy right now since you're pushing that hot star with a velvety voice and soft lips away. Even Mom, Dad and Brenda are calling you crazy because of it."

Brenda, our older sister who moved near our parents to northern California with her new husband. I looked at both Donna and me and the mirror. Tears stung my eyes as emotion gripped my chest. My voice came out emotional. "I just don't want him to get hurt."

"Aw, honey..." Donna cooed, and she hugged me from the front while still kneeling. I hugged her back and smelled her rose-scented hair. "You're hurting him by pushing him away, and you're hurting yourself, too." I said nothing to that. "So... we're getting this dress, then?"

We came out of the hug. "Yeah, it'll just take some time to alter it."

I went back into the dressing room and changed back into my little pink blouse and brown trousers, both of which I found in the children's section of a store, but I altered them to fit my curves.

What was I doing? Watching him up there on that stage would definitely be torture.

~ ~ ~

This scene would be filmed in an actual auditorium. The place was all a bustle as people were getting seated and were talking among each other. I called John and asked if Donna would be allowed to be an extra in the audience. Since this audience was a mixture of previous extras and family members to the cast and crew, he told me that she could come. She sat next to me in the auditorium, and she was bouncing in her seat.

"I know that it's silly that I'm excited about this, considering what you and Elvis have been through, but I'm still tickled pink to see him. If you don't want to talk to him in person, then I sure will."

"Then he'll know I'm here. We're doing this and leaving."

She looked over at me from my left. "But you said that it may take a few run-throughs before the director is pleased."

"Yes, and when that's done, I want to leave."

She slumped back in her seat and pouted. "You're no fun." The pink curtains were drawn, and people started to cheer, clap and scream. Donna gasped. "Oh my gosh, is he going to come on?! You said that a lot of these people haven't seen him in person. What a treat!"

I pressed my lips together as the theater was very lighted, and the band started coming onto the stage and set up their instruments. There was a stand-up bass and player, a man on a drum set and a couple of guitarists. There was also a baritone saxophone player. My heart raced inside of me as I balled my hands in my dress skirt. I spent hours the night before tweaking the dress so it fit just right. My hair was also up in a twist while Donna's was half-up, half down, and she wore a pretty pink dress that hugged her form.

"I wonder if that guitarist on the right is single. He's pretty cute."

"Psht," I laughed as the band got ready and were up on tall stools or pedestals. Donna was known to have instant crushes.