Chapter 11 - Elvis Gets a Puppy!

Start from the beginning

I didn't want to look at him or else I would meet his gaze and would want to melt to the floor. My heart was already going as fast as this puppy's. "Yes. And you still haven't answered my question."

"Of course I can. Well, the housekeeper will take care of 'im while I'm at work, but when I'm home, he's all mine."

I shook my head. Well, at least there would be someone at home with this dog. "Alright," I said and removed my stethoscope. "His heartbeat is fast since he got scared out there, but it's a strong heartbeat." I took my clipboard off the counter and took up my pen and wrote some. "You just got him today?"

"Yes, ma'am."

I liked that he called me that. It made me seem older. Of course, he already saw me as older than I looked, considering what happened between us thus far. "From where?"

"The shelter on the other side of town. It was another riot when I walked into that place, too."

"I bet. And you don't have a name for him yet?"

"How 'bout you pick one?"

I met his gaze this time, and it was more at my level since I was on a stool that rose me a foot-and-a-half. The twinkle and soft look in his blue eyes about turned my bones to jelly. I cleared my throat, attempting to be what I ask of my employees—professional. "You really want me to pick his name?"

"Why not?"

"Because you bought him because of me," I said a little too quickly. I winced. I put down the clipboard and got to examining this puppy's teeth, and he wasn't appreciating it. He moved his head several times. Elvis laughed.

"Well... I suppose you wouldn't be wrong, but I actually really wanted a dog companion at my LA home. I have plenty of animals at Graceland, so I felt that I needed one here. I'm already attached to 'im. It was love at first sight for the both of us."

He openly admitted that he bought this dog just so he could see me. I rolled my eyes, but he didn't see it since I was looking inside the puppy's mouth, and my long blonde ponytail was facing him. "I see. Do you have the adoption paperwork for him?"

I almost expected him to say "no" to that, but I heard something sliding, like paper against material. I looked over and saw him take out papers from out of his suitcoat pocket. He unfolded the papers. "Right here."

He extended them to me, and I took them and read over them. My brows rose. "Derby. That's his name, or the name the shelter gave him. He's two months old and has had all his shots, plus..." I could've rolled my eyes again. "He's all checked out as far as health." I looked back up at this new and impulsive dog owner. "Elvis, really..."

He only grinned, embarrassed. "Okay, okay..."

"This is no small thing, you know," I shot at him, and his brows rose at that. "You adopt this poor puppy, yes, so you can have a companion at your rented home, but so you can come in here and put him through torture just to see me? When the shelter already checked him before you left the place not two hours ago?"

I knew he could see the fire in my eyes, and his smiled faded. "Hold on, Shannon..."

I shook my head and got off the stool, and at the same time, I took little Derby in my arms. I held him as I had my back facing Elvis. My chest was pinching in annoyance. "I have half-a-mind to give Derby back to the shelter."

"Oh, c'mon, now, you can't tell me that you're actually mad about this, are ya? After what we've been through?"

Those sweet, numbing kisses came to mind for the millionth time since they happened. "You know, just because you're famous, doesn't mean you can take advantage of a situation by using a poor, innocent animal as the key."