Chapter 10 - I Have a One-Track Heart

Beginne am Anfang

~ ~ ~

Back on the set. Many of the scenes were filmed in the studio, especially my singing numbers. My "One-Track Heart" number would be shot in a tent that was set up in the studio, and the Jordanaires would be singing the background vocals as the band played. I stood in my dressing room, looking back at myself in the mirror as I wore a black dress shirt and slacks. I loved wearing all black. It matched my hair, and it was classy.

Someone knocked on my dressing room door. "We're ready on the set for you, Mr. Presley," a man said.

"Thank you," I called back and made sure my hair was in place. As I was doing so, I had a very close look at my blue eyes, then at my lips. I smirked at thinking again about those couple of kisses with Shannon. I ached to kiss those lips again. If I could do anything with my stardom to make people see that Shannon was good for me, I would. I still needed to figure out what that would be.

I left my dressing room and greeted a few people in passing on my way to the set. The set for when I would do my number came into view, and I greeted a lot of the extras that were in the audience. I came up to the stage and a guy handed me my guitar, the same one that was in my room this morning. I strung the strap over me, and I held the beauty of the instrument. The band and the Jordanaires were practicing their parts as I fiddled with the guitar and listened to what John was telling me as he stood with me on the stage. I nodded at his instructions, and as I did so, I looked out over the excited crowd.

My heart leaped to the roof of this tent. Shannon! And she was sitting as tall as the women around her. She was on the set? Well, she didn't say no to John, then. She noticed that I saw her, and she pressed her lips together, looking as if she were holding in a smile. I gave her a large one, though, and a few women in the crowd gushed about it. She blushed. At least, I was pretty sure of it in this lower lighting. How great it was that the woman I was nuts about was nuts about me. It made a guy feel good about himself.

"Alright, you got it, Elvis?" asked John.

"I got it."

"Great." Then to the audience and crew, "Okay, ready on the set! Band and background vocals, get ready."

He left the stage and went and stood behind a cameraman. As I stood there waiting for the cue to start, my gaze was on Shannon. She had her hair down and in waves, and she had makeup around her eyes, noticeable even when she was half-way back to my right. That was attractive. I always liked a lot of makeup on women. Maybe it was for her to look like she was a part of the adult crowd?

"Okay... action!" John shouted, and all became quiet as the band started the song with tapping wooden blocks. We sang and played.

My gaze was on Shannon the whole time. This song really spoke to how I felt about her.

As I ended the number, I bowed, and John shouted "Cut!" before the scene continued. "That was great, but I want to do it again. Elvis, I want you to move your head to the beat of the song. You were looking at one place."

I glanced at Shannon, smirked, then said, "Right. Let's do it again."

We did so, and I tried my best to not look at Shannon as much as possible, but whenever I sang about a train continuing chugging, I couldn't help myself. I was sending her a message.

"Perfect!" John hollered when I was through. "Now, once more, and I won't cut the scene. Let's just continue on to the girls coming out."

Once again, I sang through the song, with glances now and then at Shannon. It was as if she was a magnet for my eyes. A man really couldn't help himself.