iv. the three broomsticks

━━━  FOUR         the three broomsticks

       Sirius didn't really remember that he owed a sickle to Raya Vacth. 

      To be frank, the whole encounter had entirely left his mind. It was Remus who reminded him about his brush with Raya on the train and how he had asked if he could borrow a sickle━and assured her that he'd pay her back later.

      "How do you even remember that?" He frowned at Remus.

     Remus shrugged. They were assigned an essay in their D.A.D.A class on the detrimental effects of using the Imperius curse━which is why they were in the library. Remus even managed to get a note from their Professor requesting access to the restricted section. He was carelessly looking through a book. Although he seemed to be putting a substantial amount of effort into his schoolwork, he'd actually end up with the bare minimum. For most professors, the effort was enough. He didn't care much about the remarks written on the upper corner of the parchment when it was returned. He did it. That's what mattered to him.

      Peter quit the moment Remus told him that he was going to the library. He told them that he'd stay back and work on their map. 'The Marauders Map' was almost at the final stages of its making━save for a little problem that they had run into. This charm was a particularly tricky one━even for Remus with the many books that he had consulted to help them. James finally decided that he'd ask Lily ("She'd definitely help us," he had said). She wasn't impressed. She offered to teach them the charm. She gave them her notes. Peter said he'd work on it. But both Sirius and Remus knew that he won't. He'd probably sleep or do anything that's more entertaining than the library.

      James was spending time with Lily━or to put it correctly, James was trying to get Lily to talk to him. They often had such 'falling-outs' (as Lily liked to put it) between them. She claimed that it came with every relationship. Sirius didn't need her to tell him that. After years of being an unwilling witness to the rotten marriage of Orion & Walburga Black, he clearly knew the trials of being in a relationship. Though he would never dream of comparing James and Lily's relationship with his parents. They were unrivaled parallels━similar to comparing the dull ghost of winter with the lightness of spring.

      The library seemed better than the other option.

      "I just have a better memory," Remus answered.

      Sirius didn't let the little jab in his answer go unnoticed.

      "Of course, Moony."