Chapter 7 - Her Knight in a Black Suit

Start from the beginning

My strength left me, and I slumped back down in the sofa as I glared out the window at the sunny morning. "I can't believe this."

"Believe it. Mr. Rich is calling her today to see if she can come in tomorrow and be a child extra."

"Why can't they just find a normal kid?"

"I don't know the details, it's just what he told me. Now..." He checked his watch. "We have to go. Promise me you won't go visit that vet and you won't talk to her when she's on the set tomorrow. If she is."

"I..." I started but groaned. "Man, this is unfair, Colonel! If I do that, she's gonna think I'm avoidin' 'er because of the article, and she's gonna feel terrible. And she's gonna be hounded by people and reporters about that article and be humiliated! She doesn't need that. She doesn't need any of this."

The Colonel's eyes turned sympathetic. "I know, my boy. I know she's going to be hurt once she reads this, but it is how it is. She should be used to the negative attention, anyway."

"That doesn't make it right," I spat, fuming.

"I know. Now, let's go."

He left out the door. I really didn't want to go anywhere. I didn't want to hear the negative things people would say about Shannon. People had said horrible things about me—I was used to that—but hearing people say horrible things about the woman I came to care about who was amazing in every way? I would rather not. I eyed the phone. Maybe I should call her while the Colonel was outside and tell her not to take up the role to be a child. That would be humiliating to her, and it would be fodder for the press regarding the article.

A car horn honked before I could even make it to the phone. "Dammit," I muttered and got up.

This wouldn't end well.

I went out to the car and met Jerry, who was leaning against it as the Colonel was in the passenger's seat. None of the other Mafia members were present since I wanted to give them all a break. I didn't need a group of guys with me, especially since I would be at the film lot, not out in the country at the carnival today.

"Hey, pal," Jerry greeted me. "So, you don't look happy. I take it you read today's paper."

"Yeah, I have. I've had people say stuff about me before. I'm more worried about what this is gonna do to Shannon. She's been through enough because of her height. I just don't want 'er to be humiliated more."

"Unfortunately, it's going to happen, though. The poor girl."

"Yeah. The Colonel doesn't want me to associate with 'er anymore because of what the paper said, and he informed me that John wants to cast 'er as a child extra. That's not gonna help things, either."

Jerry winced. "Yeah, I agree. Well, from what you told me, she has a backbone. I mean, a weakling wouldn't have gone through vet school and started her own clinic in the span of five years, while being under four feet tall."

I nodded. "That's true. She's a tough little thing."

"The only advice I can give to you now is to just tread carefully. That article may have been a horrible stab at the both of you, but it has some truth to it." He noticed my glare at him. "Hey, you and I both know that it does, okay? I just don't want to see this end badly."

"I think it will no matter what. Let's go."

We got into the car, and Jerry went into the front seat at the wheel, and I sat alone in the back. We headed out, and on the way, I thought about that article and the fact that Shannon had most likely read it. What a horrible way to start out her day. Well, her happiness that I was told about was about to be nonexistent.