"Yeah, you'll be working from home which means more time with me," I could practically see his smug smile through the phone.

"Oh yeah, maybe I should go on campus then," I joked to which he stayed silent before he couldn't hold his laugh anymore.
"Thin ice, Amelia. Thin ice!" he joked.
"Oh no!" I mocked, "I'm gonna tidy up my mess but I'll see you when you get back, yeah?"
"Of course. Love you, bye!"

"Have we decided we're allowed to say love you then, now?" I asked, laughing at our slip ups yesterday and now his today.
"Yeah so what? If you mean it then you can say it. And I, a hundred percent, mean it."
"Smooth Junior, smooth."
"My middle name is smooth," he gassed himself.
"Hmm I wouldn't go that far," I laughed.

"Seriously end the call, I'm trying to put this all away by the time you get here!"
"I can't help it if you want to carry on hearing my amazing voice-" he started, causing me to roll my eyes jokingly.
"Neymar da Silva Santos Junior."
"Yes m'aam. See you in a second, we're round the corner."
"Okay. Love you, bye," I smirked at being able to say it and I knew he was doing the same.
"Amo você," and he ended the call.

I gathered up the pieces of paper in two large piles but kept my physiotherapy ones separate. I put each pile back in the box from my old attic and left them in the corner of the room, not quite knowing where they belonged in this house yet.

I made myself a drink and drank it, sitting on the kitchen counter. Soon enough, I heard the door open and my boyfriend's voice.
"Melia, I'm back!" he shouted and I could hear him dropping bags and taking his shoes off.
"In the kitchen!"
He came jogging in and gave me a sweaty hug, standing between my legs.

"How was training?" I ran my hands through his curls as he held my waist.
He grinned at me, "I actually have some big news! Some big big news!"
"What is it?" I laughed at his excitement.
"I didn't wanna take the spotlight off you and possibilities of your new job but," he paused and his smile grew even wider which I didn't think was possible, "Guess who made the national team?"

I sat with my mouth open.
"NO FUCKING WAY!" I pushed him back a bit, "NO WAY! OH MY GOD!"
He laughed at my reaction.
"SO YOU'RE- NO WAY! THERE'S NO WAY!" I hugged him and he swayed us side to side. "Take a shower, we'll go somewhere to celebrate!"
"But you've got your training soon, don't you?" he asked me as he walked in to the bathroom.
"I don't care, this is more important!" I kissed his cheek before he shut the door and ran to get my phone.

Sure enough, it was there in the headlines. I was so beyond proud of him. The Brasil Team! In the World Cup! The grin stayed plastered on my face as I scrolled through my camera roll to find a funny video to use on my story to say congratulations.

I found one from before we were dating, when he had fallen asleep in the changing rooms after a match. I poked his cheek and he was ready to throw hands before he realised it was me and did the cutest smile ever. I wrote, "I'm so proud of you meu amor, obrigado por se você and letting me be part of your journey ❤️"
I dipped in and out of Portuguese as we did when talking but I didn't really care. I clicked post and watched the video again a few times.

(there was a way better edit of this on tiktok but it won't let me add my own vids unfortunately but that's the vid minus the cringey music and writing lol)

"Princesa!" I heard a shout from the bathroom and I knew he had seen the story, making me laugh.
"Hurry up!" I complained since the shower had turned off a few minutes ago.