Chapter 5 - Sparks Start Flying on the Roadside

Start from the beginning

I pressed my lips together, and I knew that she could see my cheeks turn pink. "Okay, okay, maybe I do. What sane woman wouldn't want to?"

She giggled, and Glenda said my name. "This is for you."

"Oh?" I took the phone. "Dr. Shannon Comm." I listened to the person on the other end, and my eyes widened at what I was listening to. "Um, yes. Tomorrow would be perfect since it's my day off." I continued to listen, and Glenda and Edna were leaned in, very interested in this conversation that they couldn't hear, at least on the other end. "Oh, well, I'm a vet, not a doctor for people. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding." They spoke some more. "Well... yes, that would be wonderful, but..." They spoke again. "I'm sorry, what?" My receptionists leaned forward a little more. "Okay, yes, I'll be there. Thank you." I hung up the phone, and I stared at it for a moment. "What the heck just happened?"

"That's a question both of us are wondering," said Edna. "Care to tell us?"

"That was the producer of Roustabout. You know, the Elvis film that's being made in town." They both gasped. "I... he wanted to know if I could be on the set just in case there are injuries in a motorcycle scene that Elvis is doing on a country road. I told him I'm a vet, and he seemed surprised. He said that he was told I was an actual doctor."

"Are you kidding me?" Glenda exclaimed. "You were asked to be on the set again?"

"Yes," I let out, taken aback.

"Why would he still ask you to be a doctor on sight when Glenda answered the phone saying 'Dr. Shannon Comm's Veterinary Clinic'?"

"I don't know. He said that he would call another doctor, a doctor for people, but welcomed me onto the set. I told him I would be there to watch since people are sometimes out to the side watching scenes being filmed. That is, if they're filming on location."

They both gasped, and Edna exclaimed, "You're going to be on the set again! You're going to see Elvis again! How exciting this is!"

Other people in the clinic heard that, and I started being asked questions. I had to escape to the back since I had to get to my next appointment anyway. I placed a hand on my heated cheek, thinking about Elvis's handsome face.

"Oh boy, what did I just do?"

~ ~ ~

Finally, the country road scene. This was the scene that I was looking forward to since filming began. And, boy, did I love this beautiful motorcycle! It was a Honda 305 Superhawk. I sat on it as I wore that swell leather jacket. This whole look I had going on was very James Dean. He was someone I looked up to quite a lot. I hoped to one day be like him in the acting world.

Putting this motorcycle scene together, well, a few toes needed to be stepped on. I wanted to have the Jordanaires to be singing with me for the "Wheels on My Heels" number, but John didn't want it. We had a bit of an argument about it while we were panning it, but he got his way in the end, saying that there was nowhere to put the group since I was traveling on the motorcycle. Again, I would be singing, but the song would be playing through a speaker attached to the moving camera. It would actually be connected to a car that would be in front of me on the road. It would be the same thing when I had to ride up next to Joan, Barb and Leif in the little topless car.

"Alright, let's get started," John called to everyone, and my stylist fixed my hair since it was windblown from me doing some joy riding on the motorcycle earlier.