Chapter 4 - A Little Clinic Gets a Big Guest

Start from the beginning

Since I was so short, I couldn't even see the very man since people were blocking him. I tried to make my way through to the front, and once I got close enough, I heard Elvis tell someone about how he knew of this little clinic. Naturally, he told the story of my being on the set.

"She can tell ya the rest of the story," Elvis said and pointed to me, and everyone looked down at me. Suddenly, there was a reporter man in front of me and he had to crouch down to be level with my head.

"You're Dr. Shannon Comm, correct? The lucky little lady who got a chance to be in an Elvis film?"

"Um..." I mumbled as everyone watched me. Since I expected reporters, I had in my head what I wanted to say to them, but in this chaos with Elvis standing right there... "Yes, I am. The director of the film came in and asked me to play a little part after my uncle told him about me. My uncle is Billy Barty, the other little person playing in the film."

"The actor Billy Barty is your uncle, huh? That's swell! Aren't you a lucky woman?"

I grinned when he called me a woman. Well, I was, but people usually called me a kid. "Thank you. And really do feel lucky. No, blessed. What an experience it was."

I went on to tell all these people about my time on the set both times I was there, and as I was doing so, Elvis was answering questions from a different reporter while he was signing autographs. About a half-hour passed when Elvis's detail and manager, who came in shortly after Elvis, shooed the people out of the clinic, including the people who actually had an appointment and my employees. The only people who were left were me, Elvis, his detail and manager.

"Well, I wasn't planning on that happening today," I said when all was quiet, aside from people on the outside wanting in, but the door was locked and being watched by the two men in black. I sat down in one of the cushioned waiting chairs. "Phew..."

"That was kinda wild, wasn't it?" Elvis asked. "I just wanted to pay ya a visit and see your clinic. It's pretty nice."

"Thank you."

One of the detail sneezed, and Elvis laughed. "Jerry's allergic to cats."

"I actually was just treating a cat that swallowed a dime." I looked down at my purple blouse and brushed off some hairs. "She's a Persian. They have very long fur." Jerry sneezed again, as did the other guy with him. "I'm so sorry, you two. I have allergy meds for mainly my employees if you want any."

"That's okay," said Jerry, then he sneezed again. Nasally, he said, "Actually... yeah, that would be great."

I got up and went into the back through that door. As I went into the employee room where everyone kept their things on racks, and there was a little table to sit at that seated two, I got the allergy pills. I remained there a second, though.

"Holy moly... Elvis Presley is in the lobby of my little clinic... and I'm getting allergy meds for his detail... wow."

It was all so unbelievable.

I went back out there, and Jerry was still sneezing. I came up to him with the pills and a paper cup of water. "I have a pill for you, too," I said to the other man. They both looked around my age.

"Thanks," said Jerry, still nasally. "Elvis, I'm going outside."

"Go on, get outta here before we have to take ya to the hospital," Elvis said in laughter. Boy, he looked fine in his slimming black suit outfit, and a red dress shirt underneath the coat popped color.

Jerry opened the front door, making a jangle from the bell on the door frame, and the people screamed when they saw Elvis in the room, but the other detail shut the door and locked it. The Colonel said, "I think we should give Dr. Comm back her office so she can get through her clients, Elvis."