A Long Time by findyourboatxx

Start from the beginning

"I-uh-" he stuttered. "Sloane told me to put them up."

I had never felt such a quick, intense burning sensation in my body then at that very moment her name left his mouth. It was as if I was shocked completely out of words because I stood there as my blood ran hot through my body.

"She did," I breathed. I pinched the bridge of my nose, trying to calm my breathing as I quickly turned on my heels. I began to pace back and forth, trying with everything inside of me to calm down before I spoke again. "That is my mistake Richard, I hadn't realized that her name was on the damn building!"

~ Hello again, I feel as though I should jump in here.

You see when you look at the facts you can't really blame Mr. Styles for his reaction. He had owned the company now for almost three years, and in all of those years... they had never decorated once. While that story isn't mine to tell, it is important to note that Harry's relationship with the holiday season is one that is quite tragic. While I won't excuse his behavior – because lord knows this is not the way to speak to people – I urge you to remember that there is always more to the story than what meets the eye. And between you and me, I think everyone at the company knew that considering they had all known Styles since he was just a little boy.

And they all knew better than to test him around this time of year... well... all but one. ~

"And if I'm remembering correctly that isn't your name on the building either, that is unless your name is Christopher Styles. But it's not, is it Harold?"

Her hair was slicked back into a ponytail, the brown curls straightened to fall effortlessly down her back as her ruby red lips held back a smirk. Her dress was tight, black that hit right above her knee and red heels making her legs look long and muscular.

And my blood boiled simply by looking at her.

"Red isn't a good color on you honey," she mocked, slowly walking closer to me as she dragged her finger on the desk beside her. "You need to relax, tough guy, they're lights."

"Don't tell me what to do," I spat, range filling inside of me as she held her lips tighter together to try to keep from smiling.

She just loved to fucking irritate me.

"It's fine," Richard said quickly, knowing that Sloane and I cannot be in the same room without starting a fight. "Honest, I'll just take them down."

"Don't let him intimidate you Rick," Sloane said softly, dropping any ounce of aggravation as she met him with kind eyes. "They look lovely."

"Really Sloane, it's fine."

She turned to look at me, her eyes narrowing with anger as she shook her head. She turned back at Richard once more before shoving past me, knocking my shoulder purposely with hers, with a scoff leaving her lips as she rushed out of the room and into her office.

"Take them down," was all I said before following her.

Sloane started working at the company three years ago before my father passed away. He was struggling pretty badly and decided the best thing for the company was a merger. One that included the biggest name in fashion to team up with the fastest growing couture magazine in New York that had been wanting to collaborate with him for years. It was always a dream of my mother's to work hand in hand with a magazine, but I'm sure that dream would've turned into a nightmare if she knew that Sloane Jackson was editor and chief of said magazine.

She is a spoiled, selfish, entitled brat that believes the world revolves around her.

I stalked into her office, my eyes sharp as I stared at her sitting at her desk. Her feet crossed, hair thrown over her shoulder as she read what I assumed to be her emails.