Chapter Fourteen.

Start from the beginning

"Hello, (Y/n)," Dumbledore greeted pleasantly.

"Hello," (Y/n) said, smiling.

"I assume you know why you are here?"

"Because I was made Head Girl?" (Y/n) said, to which both professors nodded. "I wanted to ask if I could... not be that."

"I see..." Professor Dumbledore said. "Is that what you really want or is it because you, in some way, feel inferior to the you that you do not remember?" (Y/n) opened and closed her mouth.

"How did you—?"

"Lucky guess," Dumbledore said, his eyes twinkling. He clasped his hands together and for the briefest of moments, (Y/n) saw how blackened and dead-looking, just as the night he had picked Harry and (Y/n) up, Dumbledore's hand was before his sleeves fell over his hands.
"How's this: You remain Head Girl for the month and if, by the end of it, you still believe you are inferior— or you do not think you are capable of such responsibilities— I will prepare someone else for the position."

"One month? I can do that," (Y/n) said, nodding. Dumbledore smiled. "Can I go?"

"Not yet. This is not what you were originally called in for," Professor McGonagall said, looking at Dumbledore.

"Ah, yes," Dumbledore nodded. "What you were originally called in for is your memory loss... As I am sure you know, you being this year's Head Girl was decided long before your memory loss and, despite the unfortunate circumstances, we saw no need in taking away your position." (Y/n) slowly nodded. "However, your case does put you being your peers, does it not? So we have spent the summer coming up with a solution: Your teachers will be giving you just a bit of extra work and practice to make sure you are still able to meet your graduation requirements and pass your N.E.W.T.s. They are fully prepared to help you if you are struggling and I fully understand if you do not wish to keep up with your very busy schedule of more classes than the average student. In addition to the work in place to catch you up, I ask that you meet in my office once a week to check your progress. Professor McGonagall will give you the password whenever it changes."

"H-how many classes was I taking prior to my memory loss?" (Y/n) asked nervously.

"Twelve before your sixth year and fourteen for your sixth year— and this year, I suppose," Professor McGonagall answered. (Y/n) made a choking sound.

"I'm sure your next question is 'How did I have twelve classes'?" Dumbledore mused.

"I was going to ask how many classes the average student took, but that will work too..." (Y/n) said.

"Nine for the average student," Professor McGonagall said. "And how you did it," she continued, pulling a thin box from off the singular desk in the room, "was a Time-Turner." She opened the lid and (Y/n) peered down at the hourglass-like object that hung from a golden chain. "This has been yours for the past four years and it gives you the ability to time travel at the cost of your own age." (Y/n) gave Professor McGonagall a confused look. "If you go back in time for one hour, you will live through that hour in regular time, thus making you an hour older."

"Oh..."

"There are, of course, certain rules that need to be in place— considering Time-Turners can be extremely dangerous when affecting the timeline," Professor McGonagall went on. (Y/n) stared off into the distance with a knowing look in her eyes. "One: No one, not even your closest friends, is to know how you are managing to have two— possibly three— classes at once nor are you to be seen. Hermione Granger is the one exception to this rule, considering she once held a Time-Turner. Two: The Time-Turner is to be used for attending class and attending class alone— No exceptions. If you have double Potions at the same time as, say, Divination and Care of Magical Creatures, you will rewind time however much need to and attend your two classes at the same time you are doing Potions.
"Three— I have no doubt that you will be able to meet this rule, but it needs to be said: You must maintain at least an eighty-percent average across all of your classes. Four: By Ministry requirement, you are to keep a monthly record of how much time you have rewound. If the hours do not add up with the classes, I do expect you will face consequences..."