It was a cold winter's day and the snow had come early. 

The children sat huddled into the corner of the room, covered in their spare clothes and a thin blanket. Their breath  hung in small clouds before their faces before dissipating into the biting air. They spoke in hushed tones as the adults stood some distance away stealing worried glances. 

"Are you sure they will be okay here? One of us has to stay back. What if the Wanderers show up and we aren't here? They can't handle those on their own." Beth spoke in a rushed tone, gesturing with one hand as the other held her coat closed. 

Wayne nodded as the others began to speak over each other. "Relax, guys. While she does have a point, we have this land on lock down. Nobody gets in or out unless we give them the go ahead. The Kiddos know not to venture further than the edge of that yard, and I doubt they would want to get up anyways." He glanced over at the three young ones again, offering a small smile to the youngest. Even though she was only four, she had adapted to this way of living quickly. It was a shame she had to, but there was no other option. 

He took a deep breath and turned back to the group. "Besides, we need all hands on deck for firewood and gathering food. Beth, Jack and I will handle getting food. Joey, Lisa and Ryan, you three get the firewood. Remember, don't take more than you can carry, and if you hear something, you say something. We can't lose another one." 

The group nodded, breaking off into their groups and setting out, leaving the three children alone in the Cabin. Their jaws were clenched to keep their teeth from chattering, and their eyelids growing heavy. They knew they shouldn't sleep until the adults got back, but the claws of sleep dug into their bodies. One by one, they drifted off into blissful sleep. 

With the two groups split off into the snow covered forest, the only sound that could be heard was the muted crunch of wet leaves beneath their already soaked boots. the hunt for food had become more and more difficult before the snow, but now that everything the eye could see was covered in a white blanket, it was nearly impossible.

Wayne trudged forward, turning back to check on Jack and Beth. These two were the newest to the group, and the parents to the youngest in the group. The two walked side by side, Jack helping Beth up the hill. She was pregnant once again, and within the next few weeks she would be bound to the cabin. 

His gaze then turned to the other group, around 100 yards away, carrying wood in packs on their back. His wife lead the other group, with his younger brother and his nephew in tow. She had expressed she was growing tired of the cold. A shot of pain struck his heart, knowing how terrible she wanted to be home with the fire blowing heat into her frozen finger, and warming her reddened nose. 

Wayne once again shifted his gaze back to his own group. They were carrying packs of small birds, squirrels and berries that had been determined safe to eat. "Guys, I think we should head back. There's not much out here." The couple gave curt nods, turning back towards camp. Jack lifted his fingers to his mouth, letting out a sharp, high pitched whistle. The other group jerked their heads up before turning back towards camp as well. 

The six knew the camp wasn't far, but the walk would feel longer. The wind was blowing directly into their faces now, biting at their exposed skin. Despite the air being cold, it burned the face of everybody in the party. 

The continued their slow strides towards the camp. He would never say it out loud, but there was a pit in Wayne's stomach; something wasn't right. 

As the camp appeared over a hill, the pit in his stomach grew. The fence they had built only weeks before now had a large hole in it, seemingly ripped apart by claws. 

The Wanderers. 

He glanced to his side, seeing if anybody else in the party was seeing what he saw. Panic washed over each persons face as realization hit them. One by one, they broke into sprints. Jack was the first to reach the camp, yelling his child's name. No response came from the youngest. 

Wayne and Lisa were next, yelling the names of their two children. No response came from them either. 

Panic once again set in as the sad truth of what they were about to come upon washed over them. They knew where to look for the remains of their Kin, but none of them were sure they had the strength to do so.