CHP 1

A/N: It's a draft and chapter is not complete yet, but I just wanna update before working on it :)

Ellie

I felt the cool breeze hit me like a new breath of air. After being cooped up inside four walls, it felt refreshing to be in the open once again. No, I wasn't held captive: unless you consider my refusal to come out of my room for a whole week since I moved in with my grandparents.

I knew I shouldn't be so bitter but I can't change how I feel about everything. I wish I could be like Dhanyal sometimes and just turn my back on everyone. Instead, I plastered a smile on my face and gave a small, awkward hug to Neena, our maid. She whispered something which I couldn't catch in the din of the ferry terminal.

Yup, that was all to my farewell. I already bid goodbye to my grandparents who couldn't quite contain their relief at our leave. I can't blame them though. Dhanyal had stayed out all night only to drop home for a quick nap and then he was gone again. As for me, I already updated you on that. I stayed imprisoned in the guest room where my mother would live for now.

I wish I could convey to her that she is not alone, that we are still here. But, I almost don't recognize her anymore. The frail woman with a lost look in her eyes couldn't possibly be my mother, could she? I was emotionally drained to brood on it any further after hours of hearing my grandparents talk bad about my dad and occasionally blaming my mom for the outcome. They never approved of the marriage in the first place. Reliving a bad experience from the point of view of a third party is never fun. For one, they don't know the whole story. Two, they think they do.

Brushing my thoughts aside, I picked up the huge backpack and stepped onto the boat. It was a new start, I told myself. Yet, I knew it wasn't true deep down. I will still be me, my family will still be in a mess and I am going to live with people who are practically strangers to me. I haven't seen my aunt and uncle since I was a baby.

I walked inside the sheltered deck and found it full to my dismay. Not a single seat free. I glanced around for my useless, selfish brother for the slight chance that he might have found some goodness in his heart to save a seat for me. Nope, his lanky, tall form was nowhere in sight.

Has he run off? I felt the fear creep into my heart. Should I get off and look for him? I heard the bell ring once, then twice, most likely indicating that it was going to set off now. I froze, not knowing what to do. Just then, someone snatched my bag right out of my hand.

"Hey!" I cried out, angrily and was met with dark, narrowed eyes. Without a word, Dhanyal took my hand and led to a stairway I had missed on the side. Just as suddenly, he let go of my hands and climbed up the small wooden stairs which led to the top, open deck of the boat.

Shocked, but relieved at the same time I followed him. He had left my bag near the last step and was already making his way to the far end. I could take a hint as well any other and slowly made my way to a side, knowing his unexpected help was no invitation to join him. But instead of feeling hurt, I couldn't help but smile. I guess when you are not expecting anything from someone; even a small act of kindness doesn't go unnoticed.

The only thing that would keep things (and people) falling off was a railing wrapped around the deck and it only reached up to my waist! That is saying alot when you consider my small frame. I bet Dhanyal could topple over easily like it didn't even exist. I wondered if it was even safe to be up here and fortunately found no little kids around. A bunch of teenagers were chatting happily near the front and for the first time, I felt lonely as their laughs carried over to me. I wondered what it felt like to have friends, to laugh without a care in the world and share stories with.