Chapter 16: Out And About

En başından başla

I was sitting on the edge of the bed, allowing Beatrice to braid my hair so that it rested against the middle of my back. She came around to stand in between my legs, pushing some of the loose strands of hair behind my ears before placing my cowboy hat on top of my head, her eyes locking with mine. I found myself staring into her green eyes, watching them sparkle as she smiled. 

"All ready to go. Can't even tell you were shot in the first place..." She broke the silence, taking a step back as she helped me back to my feet. 

"Nope... But can definitely feel it" I joked, making her frown at me as she put her hands on her hips. 

"I'm kidding... I feel great. I'm just ready to get out of this room" She rolled her eyes, wrapping her arm around around my back as I was still slightly wobbly. We took it slow as we walked through the empty house, out the front door and into the bright sunlight. 

The men were crowded around a map on the hood of a car, making me smile slightly as I saw my brother. Lori and Carol were busy hanging up laundry, while Carl and Atticus played with some toy cars nearby. 

"Next time wake me, all right? Especially on laundry day" I heard Lori tell Carol as she was picking up some items of clothing. 

"I can manage. I had an idea. I wanted to run by you" 

"What's that?" 

"That big kitchen of theirs got me thinking. I wouldn't mind cooking in a real kitchen again. Maybe we all pitch in. And cook dinner for Hershel and his family tonight" Beatrice and I started towards them slowly as we both heard Carol's suggestion. 

"Kind of looking for things to keep my mind occupied" I felt my heart sink, because I still felt guilty that my son was safe, but Sophia was still out there, missing. 

"After everything they've done for us, seems like the least we could do" Lori finally adds as the two of them hang up the wet laundry on the line. 

"I for one think that's a wonderful idea" I speak up, grabbing their attention. A wide smile spreads on Lori's face as she comes to hug me, letting Beatrice step back. 

"Sweetheart... I'm so happy that you're back on your feet, but you shouldn't be pushing yourself" Lori pulled back putting her hands on my cheeks. 

"I'm fine Lori, really.... I needed to get out of that room and I can barely feel anything now" She didn't seem convinced, but nodded as I looked over at Carol, who smiled softly as she hung up another shirt. 

"I'm glad you're okay Dallas" I cringed internally as she used my first name. She wasn't happy that my kid was safe and hers wasn't... I didn't blame her. 

"I'm going to go find Beth, you alright here?" Beatrice asked, obviously feeling the tense atmosphere. 

"Yeah, thanks Bea" She nodded, kissing me on the cheek quickly before walking away. I felt my cheeks flush red as Lori gave me a teasing look. 

"What was that about?" She asked with a smirk. 

"I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.... Hey, can you watch AJ for me? I'm going to go see Rick" I didn't wait for a reply as I walked off, towards the men and Andrea, still huddled around the map. 

"All right, everyone's getting new search grids today" Rick explains, pausing. 

"If she made it as far as the farmhouse Daryl found, she might have gone further east than we've been so far" He continues as Daryl puts on a flannel to cover his gray tank top. 

"I'd like to help. I know the area pretty well and stuff" Jimmy walks up to the group, awkwardly, making me cross my arms, amused as I stand to the side. No one has taken notice of me yet.