chapter v; the lysene spring (by queen rhaenyra's own words)

She was nothing like my mother, that woman

She was nothing like my mother, that woman. "Bound to obey and serve", my mother said. She had dedicated her life to Viserys and to the realm. And in the end, she gave up giving her life for a son that was never meant to be born after all. She had suffered for 12 years through countless miscarriages and stillbirths and health issues.

Larra on the other hand, that Lysene girl, came to the court, sent one look to Viserys -who had been old and obese now, can't even ride a horse and eats like a pig, and said 'no'. After battling for months -she probably thanked her Gods that Viserys developed gout right after their wedding so she didn't have to consummate the marriage, she got the annulment she wanted and left the capital with the first ship. Returned back home, and married someone older but more charming and rich. He's like wine, she wrote to me in one of her letters. The more he ages the tasteful he gets. She said she was going to use "To love and to want" as her motto and she did throughout her life. She loved quickly and fiercely, she wanted everything and got everything, she lived the life my mother couldn't.

They shared similarities and differences; young and hopeful girls with different Gods came to the capital for the first time and were distant from the culture.

I don't know much about her early life, only that the match had been arranged by her father Lysandro and Corlys. They had said that Larra was betrothed to a Myrish noble but the pact was delayed the moment Corlys started for the match. He had a wounded pride. After starting a war that he cannot win and only managing to have a truce because of Daemon's "war crimes" -which is a grave lie Daemon would never do such a thing, Triarchy was coming for his neck and he needed Dorne's support before they gave it to the Triarchy. But which one was better, starting another war he cannot win or becoming the Triarchy's other head with his help to defeat the Tyrosh and the Myr?

So after four years of discussions, they married on the first day of 114. You may ask why a 4-year delay, it's because Corlys went too far and tried to marry me with his son, Laenor. Who had no interest in me or in any women. But now losing his most important piece on the board, Corlys went too far and made my Daemon his enemy.

What we had was love, true love. I wasn't a child, 12 was old enough to know such things and as he always said; I was more mature than my peers. He brought me gifts because he loved me, he got rid of Alicent because he loved me, he accepted exile and returned his bronze bitch because he loved me and he slept with other women because he loved me and didn't want to force me into anything. And then Corlys dared to say it was no love and that I had to marry Laenor.

I explained time and time again that I was married to Daemon in the eyes of the Gods and he dared to tell me that Valyrian Gods didn't matter. He forced me to say the words in front of a Septon and put their disgusting cloaks on my shoulders. I was 14, a literal child and Laenor were 17, a grown man. It wasn't appropriate but they had forced me into it. He sent Laenor to the court to admit what had happened and Viserys had him executed the next day.