CHAPTER TWO

It happened just as I predicted. Those two days passed by swiftly and weirdly. I also didn't get terrified in my dreams. Mostly, because I didn't sleep for the past two nights and only had a short nap in the day in the company of Aiday. When my mother asked about the reason behind the dark shade under my eyes, I told her I was reading and sleeping late which she confirmed with Aiday, who only saw me with books for the past two days.

Baella and Rhaena had a lot to tell me about the Red Keep as we sat on the dining table. I asked my mother how my sister's betrothed looks and how they are in nature. In short, the lunch was all about the stories of Red Keep and my grandma's childhood.

As they all went to rest after lunch, I came by the shore and sat at a distance from where I can see all the dragons but I noticed Caraxes was missing, which notifies the reason behind father's absence from the dining table.

I stared ahead of me, at the sea trying to remember the sight even though it scares me. But we will be leaving Driftmark in a fortnight utmost, maybe back to Pentos.

My focus was disrupted by a loud growl up in the sky as Caraxes started to get closer and closer. Soon it landed with a thump that almost convulsed the entire ground, while my father stepped down in his own greatness. Well my step-father strictly speaking, but he didn't mind being called father and I didn't mind calling him that. He noticed me while petting Caraxes neck and soon walked towards me.

"When the ship arrived at the river gate in King's Landing, I was waiting to see you come out of it." Now I'm going to get scolded. He settled on a rock, a little diagonal to me.

"I didn't think I would feel comfortable there, among unknown faces."

"Every face is unknown until you meet them." He never liked my introvert self.

"Why meet when I can stay between the people I know, right?"

"Wrong, you will not be able to endure alone if the people you know left you." This hurted me.

"Why would they leave me?" My voice is already getting dense.

"This is life, Maenya...it is filled with uncertainties. You can never be too cautious with life." His life lessons frighten me sometimes.

"Then I will stop it" he scoffed at my words.

"I would like to see you try."

My relation with my step-father has always been affable. It was always easy to talk to him. Back in Pentos, he made sure all three of his daughters were in his sight. I don't know how good Argen Gallani was as a husband to my mother but he was not a good father. He barely ever acknowledged me, so all I have for a father is Daemon Targaryen and I think he is doing a satisfactory job at that.

"What are they like?" His question snapped my attention back at him. Seems like my mother has told him about it. I gave him a look that I didn't get the question.

"Your dreams. Where do they take you?" He looked quite serious.

"Did mother tell you that?" I smiled lightly.

"Well she mentioned something back at Red Keep but the darkness under your eyes tells me that they have scared you enough to deprive yourself of sleep." I could never hide anything from him with a plain lie, that's why I never tried.

"I am not scared, I am freaking terrified," My eyes sting with the tears that immediately gathered in my eyes at the mere thought of my dream. "They don't leave me...they just keep coming back." I felt a tear escape my eye.

"They always bring me right there," I signaled with my finger towards the end of the shore where water meets it. "That sea...it calls me, it whispers in my ear, and I can't help but move towards it." Recalling those haunting whispers of the water, my tears fell one after another as I lost control of my emotions.